What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Friday, May 29, 2009

Imperfectly Beautiful

(Every single photo below was a failed attempt because there was always someone blinking, not looking, or making weird faces. As you can see, I got pretty good at pasting on the smile until the moment was right. Of course, it never was! Oh well.)



Andrew is trying to eat my arm and Adele' is interested only in the passing cars.



Not bad, not bad. Except now Adele' wants to see what's what with her sister.



Oh good. Adele' is looking--and so is Andrew, albeit a bit sheepishly...but now Corynn happens to BLINK. Ah yes---the mid-blink shot. You KNOW we needed one of those.



Another car passes to enrapture Bunkin, and by now Andrew is feeling on the outside what I am feeling on the inside.

Maybe some other time.....


~~~~~ * ~~~~~~ * ~~~~~

I am my own worst enemy and I choose, daily, to beat myself up about the way that I look because---I could be thinner! I could be petite! I could be prettier! WHY aren't I prettier?!?

Of course, the truth of the matter is that beauty comes from within and I know this fact. God sees our hearts. But I think that to accept this fact and still have an ungrateful heart about our physical appearances, we are still missing the ball. Actually, we are way out in left field.

Today NEEDS to be about appearances. Because a change of heart needs to take place, and attitude needs adjusting.

Today I am going to thank God for what I have always considered curses, and THANKING Him is what should have been done a long time ago.


When I brush my incredibly thin (and thinning) hair...I thank God that God has spared me from disease that would make it ALL fall out.

As I turn away from those hideous stretchmarks....I will thank God that my womb has been filled because its emptiness would have been mourned my whole life.

As I struggle to find shirts that will fit and flatter such an OVERWHELMINGLY large bust....I will thank God that I have two breasts. My Oma lost hers after several bouts of cancer.

When I see women whose head fit in the crook of her husbands arm or pine for the sweetness of a tiptoe kiss, I will thank God for my 6 foot tall frame that allows me to rub toes AND noses with Mattie. At the same time.

When I pinch the rolls that somehow have lingered in my mid-section, I will remember that my children love to snuggle and always tell me "I'm tozy" Perhaps those rolls help me to be cozy?

When I slather aloe on my sunburned skin while I try to keep from staring at the much-coveted "TAN PEOPLE", I will be thankful that I have children who have their fathers' skin! :-)

When I feel ready to complain about my widely spread eyes, I will remember that God made them extra sparkly to compensate.



Today I choose to live a life of gratitude.



Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such an inspiration to me! Being tall always seemed a curse to me (I am 5'10). Now as an adult it is easier....and my 6'2 sons love being tall. Your family is great as is!
Anonymous

Unknown said...

A post I needed to read today...thank you! :)

Anonymous said...

What a great post. I need to be thankful for similar items. And Rebecca...just in case you didn't know...you're BEAUTIFUL!!!! Truly!

Megan said...

Mrs. N***

This is a great post! It's things that are very important to remember. By the way, I've always thought you were beautiful on the outside, but more importantly you also have it were it counts...on the INSIDE!

Lots of love,
Meg

Terri said...

Rebecca, I think you're beautiful! You have the right attitude though and one that I've needed to work on lately.

Megan's Mama said...

I believe I have a very wise daughter, and I whole-heartedly second her comment.

Outward beauty accompanied by inward beauty is indeed a rare combination, and God has graced you with BOTH.