What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

The Month That Was: May



Her favorite hiding spot ever.  Whenever I wear skirts, I can anticipate her making her way over and hopping in.  ;-)

We are back from our vacation (!!!) and I have been having fun looking through the pictures of our adventures.  Before I share them here, though, I want to do my month in review.  It's now June, after all.  Which is ridiculous if you ask me.  Utterly ridiculous.

Lest you think I always paint a rosy picture... the month of May can be summed up in a word : 

FAIL.

I pretty much failed at all my goals...yes, I think probably every single one.

I even had soda on two separate  occasions though I can honestly say I didn't enjoy them and they were of absolute necessity.  As in, falling asleep behind the wheel after taking medication that (unbeknownst to me) warns you not to take while operating a vehicle, sort of necessity.  I didn't even want the dumb stuff!
This was totally depressing for me because I was going for no soda all year...and in one fell swoop that goal was ruined.  Still, it doesn't break my resolve for the rest of the year.  If I drink soda only twice in 2017 I'd say that is a great improvement over twice a week as was last year. 

I have had some health issues since March that have progressively become more and more uncomfortable and discouraging and, not to make excuses or anything, I think May was the month where I finally just lost heart.   It is unbelievable how much we take our health for granted and how debilitating it can be when things aren't working properly.   So...I am giving myself grace for May and more grace for this month as I continue to heal and resolve my issues as I am able.

I feel more hopeful that my body and I can return to some sort of normalcy soon and that I can again focus on things other than discomfort and concern over mysterious maladies that no one seems to have answers for.  

Good things, healthful things.

I am not super looking forward to getting back into exercising though.  I still hate that.  ;-)

1 comment:

Marg said...

Hi Rebecca. I have followed you for a long time and never commented, but I enjoy your blog. I too am a second generation Dutch (reformed) Christian. My parents were immigrants and my grandparents lived through WWII as well. They never made it to the states. I immigrated to Canada about 20 years ago and now have 8 children. I don't homeschool since our children attend a private reformed school. I am not that far from you I think.....I live in Ontario.
Anyway, the last 2 years I have suffered from outbreaks of eczema, so I know what it is like to fail with your goals. Some days my goal is to get my routines, laundry and supper on the table!
All this to say, Go easy on yourself. You have a family to take care of. Take care of yourself so that you can take care of your family.