What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, October 09, 2018

Crafting On...

 



I discovered recently that we have five baby doll cradles.  FIVE.  A bit excessive, wouldn't you say?  Several have sentimental value- one was built for me when I was a girl.  One was built by Grandpa for the girls.  One was redone for the girls by Uncle Bob.  Two are super nice but have no sentimental value whatsoever.  I don't know if I will save the sentimental ones for grown up girls to take with them for their children.  Should I store them in the Granary for a dozen or so more years?  I dunno.   Maybe we will get down to one someday-but for now, at the very least, I ought to be able to say goodbye to the non-sentimental ones.  

After some investigative recon work, I discovered my niece happened to not have a doll cradle (and many poor babies without a place to lay their heads!) so for her birthday, I stitched up a bedding set to go with one of the cradles.  Her birthday theme was mermaids- and wouldn't you know I had mermaid flannel packed up somewhere with a bunch of other flannel scraps?  One down....

The crafting going on this week is of the costume variety.  Halloween is coming up fast and we happen to be doing a whole family theme-which means two extra costumes to work on!  For the first time, probably in my lifetime, I am working on costumes before the The.Night.Before.  With several overnight house guests and a church together all noted on the calendar for the week of Halloween, I think it might best to maybe not wait to the last minute.  Besides, I can't help but still hope for this being a whirlwind month of change, one that will leave me breathless, speechless and will end with   every ounce of my time and energy being consumed by the busy bliss of new babies.  One can hope.  

And if not, I guess it will just be the most relaxing Halloween ever.  

The yarn project is a  hat for Ineke that will work for her costume- it isn't exactly right but I would rather knit her a hat she can wear all season for warmth and be slightly off for her costume than have an exactly right costume that she never wears again.  

Reading:  I recently finished Godric (which I loved!) but my mind and heart have been spread pretty thin these days so I haven't been drawn to open up any particular book.  It's as if my brain is too full to add anything else.  I just got The Old Man and the Sea by Hemmingway from the library.  I haven't cracked it open yet.  Maybe I will find the gumption this week.  I am occasionally listening to Pride and Prejudice on audiobook.   I just love the language in that book.   

3 comments:

lydia.purple said...

I read a lot usually, but sometimes I feel like what you just described, that I can‘t add any more to my brain... then I write or paint.

Stephanie said...

That red is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to see all of the costumes.

Leah said...

What a great gift for your niece! My girlies are 8 and almost 10 and never had a doll cradle! I guess I never really thought about it. :/

I can't wait to see the costumes! A family theme sounds so fun! Love the hat pattern for Ineke. :)

The children got Corynn's letter and a few of them have written back already. She should get them today and a couple more in a few days. :D And I need to respond to your most recent email!

Still praying for the twinnies and you all! <3