What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, July 03, 2019

Yarn Along and Other Bits



 


























I was brave enough to start a sunsuit at the gestational diabetes 3 hour test but I got hung up on the first direction (whether to cut the yarn or work from the held stitches) so I had to put it away after just a bit.  Because of that I really didn't get a whole lot done in the three hours I was sitting at the hospital.  Thankfully,  I had brought The Gospel Comes With a Housekey so I finished that book while I waited. I am not sure, knowing how slow I am at knitting, if I can get this thing done in the nine remaining weeks of pregnancy but I will give it a go.  I saw this gorgeous romper on Amazon and am going to try to recreate it using the Lesley Sunsuit pattern and a crocheted granny square front.  That granny square might be my saving grace-  I can whip those out in no time! 

As for the test, I failed.  I am a failure.  I am now officially required to self-stab myself four times daily in order to test blood sugars.  But (you are gonna laugh!) I don't think I have gestational diabetes.  Here me out!  All of my numbers have been excellent ever since I have been taking them and I have made no dietary changes whatsoever.  My theory is- I have avoided eating too many carbs for almost two years now and avoided sugar treats almost entirely (there have been some cheats, of course, but they were cheats and not part of my daily diet) and I sweeten all drinks with stevia.  I think my body was like "WOAH!  What is this 100g of sugar drink coming down the pike?!?!" And then it went into overdrive-spiked and then plummeted into the 50's because my pancreas was working so well to deal with it.  But that's just my guess.  In any case, if I followed the advice of the nutritionist and dietitian (in a class that took another 3 hours at the hospital), I am pretty sure I would gain quite a bit of weight because she is essentially doubling (or even tripling!) my carb intake- even if it is in 'whole wheat form'.  So- lesson learned.  If ever I am pregnant again, I will refuse to take the 3 hour glucose test and instead offer to test my sugars after every meal to prove that everything is a-ok.  I don't like poking myself but it is kinda cool to see how good my sugar levels are all the time. 

I started reading Corrie Ten Boom's The Hiding Place this week which I am fairly certain I read as a new teenager but have forgotten most of.  I have been enjoying it way too late at night but I can't seem to put it down.  I regret not having read it before my trip to Holland last year because it speaks of so many places I visited unknowingly.  It would have been nice, being so close, to actually visit her father's watch shop or find the building in the Hague where she and her family were taken.  Even still, knowing and having seen these towns and the Dutch people and the narrow staircases make this book come alive even more to me.

Also pictured: 

* A friends' 50th birthday gift whipped out.  I think these canvas bags are super handy to have.  And it was fun to personalize with some acrylic paint. * Andrew makes an Indian Longhouse from twigs. * The cherry tree adds a couple more cherries every year.  It should produce enough to eat heartily by the time I am 90.  * Corynn cheers me up with a beautiful keto sugar-free dessert roll after my results came back and I was superdepressed.  * cheese-making * abundant herbs around the stone patio and right outside the kitchen door * always dishes * Andrew goes on a sunset walk and meets a hawk * blooming flower circle * Ineke gets her very own 'Cricket' with some vacation money from Grandma and Grandpa.  I am not the 'buy something for the sake of buying something' type, so Ineke's bill stayed in my purse.  UNTIL, that is, we went grocery shopping at the very vacationy local Walmart and found an incredibly lifelike newborn doll  who happened to be the SAME SIZE as Mama's Cricket in the womb.  She is loving him.  And I think it is a great way to put things into perspective for the children.  So- our society says that's not a baby in there, eh?  * It's pretty amazing to think I have a baby that big in my belly (actually bigger by a few weeks at this point).  Can't wait!

5 comments:

Bekah said...

I am sorry to hear about your test results. I had gestational diabetes during one of my pregnancies...throughout the holiday season. It was the worst! But, it sounds like you have outwitted the test with your normal way of eating. Good for you!
Your garden looks lovely, and your cherries look delicious! Our cherry tree didn't set much fruit this year. I will have to live vicariously through your photos :)

beth said...

yet again, your flower photos take my breath away. thinking of you and wishing you a wonderfully smooth nine weeks.

Kristin said...

Your pictures are amazing as is your garden! And flowers! I'm sorry about your test results but it sounds as if you have everything until control.

JenniferM said...

Your gestational diabetes story is almost the same as mine. Having been eating pretty low-carb for quite awhile, that glucose test really made me feel pretty bad and I could tell I'd failed it by how I felt. No surprise, though, my post-meal numbers were just fine. However, I did end up having to take a med before bedtime to pull down my fasting glucose numbers. What all of the finger pricks did do for me was tell me that my body was getting increasingly sensitive to carbs as my pregnancy went along. A meal I'd eaten without problem a few weeks previous would leave me with a higher number than expected as my pregnancy progressed. All that to say that, yes, I too will be skipping the test if there is ever a "next time" and just move on to daily self-testing. I don't need to push a cup of sugar down my throat to know that my body isn't going to like it.

Leah said...

I love these posts! I love getting a glimpse of your life. <3 And the flowers! So very beautiful.

I think you're right in thinking that you don't have GD. Your numbers prove it! I refused the 3-hour test during my pregnancy with Ethan. I was very confident I didn't have gestational diabetes. Not to mention the fact that they have dropped the number (from 140 to 130) used to determine if you need the 3-hour test. I was well under the original cut off.