What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Crafting On


I finished Love Thy Body by Nancy Pearcey in record time because, it is a book that I couldn't seem to put down!  So incredibly astute, it helps to put a finger on the underlying philosophies that our culture is adopting as we practice this sort of a 'personhood worldview' in relation to current cultural ideologies of transgenderism, homosexuality, abortion, euthanasia, hook-up culture, etc.   The author speaks to the fact that modern liberal views of these issues actually REJECTS science for subjectivity.  Man.  EVERYONE needs to read this book! 

I also finished The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton.  It was entertaining- the first few chapters had me enraptured.  So many times I felt myself grinning, imagining a jovial Chesterton, belly shaking with guffaws at his own descriptions.  I'll admit, the ending of the book had me feeling a bit bewildered and mentally out of breath but it continues to marinate in my mind a week later.  Which, in my mind, makes for a truly good book.  Someday I may understand it better.  But maybe not too. 

Now I am on to The Household and the World for the Cosmos by C. R.Wiley.  This too, is an excellent book.  I feel like I have hit on some goldmines the last few books I've read and it has been pure pleasure!  It's a short book and I doubt will take me long to get through- I always bring books (and my yarn basket) to my prenatal appointments and since I am now classified as 'advanced maternal age' (at 37 years old, a-hem), let's just say those appointments aren't scarce.  So a new book will be coming soon.  I hope I can keep the string of awesomeness going!

Reading isn't the only perk of being a geriatric expectant mother!  It also means ultrasounds!    Whose that little person peeking out of the corner?!  I sit and stare in wonder at that picture of Cricket ever day.  It is weird to me that I basically know what this child looks like before he even leaves my belly.  Ultrasound technology blows my mind.  Even moreso, that God created that little person and He created WOMEN, to be able to house, protect and grow said little people. How incredible is that?!

Coming back around to the beginning of this post, we ought to LOVE THY BODIES because they were created for us by a Master Craftsman for an ultimate purpose and He gives us the tools required to fulfill those purposes, that we might be craftsmen too.

Still trying to recreate this Amazon Romper using the ravelry pattern called the Lesley Sunsuit.  Since  even FOLLOWING a pattern can be difficult for me, creating my own pattern alterations feels a bit like I have bitten off more than I can chew.  The Lesley sunsuit has no buttons at the crotch and that seems like a really helpful addition.  The Amazon romper has buttons but lacks the ribbing around the legs which I like.  Trying to do both on my own is proving to be a challenge.  Also- I think I made the granny square too big for the size of the bloomer.  Ah well.  The more I muddle through these issues, the more I learn from them, right?

My hope is the years of muddling through projects may result in some day, things coming a bit more easily for me.  Maybe in time for the grandbabies.  ;-)

PS.  70% Lindt Chocolate Truffles are seeing me through all the desserts and deliciousness I have to turn down that people are eating all around me.  Except!!! Those are my last two and I told myself I am not going to buy myself ANY MORE

Correction: last ONE.  (yum)

knitting and crafting along with these ladies

3 comments:

Rozy Lass said...

You are NOT geriatric! I had my fifth child at age 40, and my grandmother gave birth to her 15th at age 46. You're just a young thing!

Thanks for sharing about the books, I'm always on the look out for a good read.

Rebecca said...

I wouldn't think so either, Rozy Lass...but everyone in the medical arena seems to think so! :-)

Abigail said...

Geriatric...HA!

What would they think of Greta, I wonder? Near-death mother?!

I love the romper! It is adorable. I can't wait to see him in it, and he'd better be sporting a boy bonnet when he does! :)