What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Thanksgiving

A few pictures from Thanksgiving...








Poor Grandpa.  He is as photogenic in this picture as I am.




To that family who was selling a box of almost 20 brown glasses at a yard sale for $5.00 years ago but tried scaring me away from buying them by telling me I would regret it because they took up too much room: I don't.

In the bottom of the dining room hutch I found a box of fancy silverware that Gram had left here- and a turkey knife and fork!  How perfectly perfect.

A Thanksgiving chalkboard tree takes mere minutes to fill.  My children are very good at counting their blessings.

I cooked a turkey the day before and made broth with the bones and boiled the giblets.  Then the stuffing and the gravy were ready long before the Thanksgiving Day turkey was done.  

Pretty paper plates made it more elegant, not less... 

A Thanksgiving playlist playing softly in the background is a great idea... if you actually remember to turn it on.  ;-)

Toilet paper roll crackers were a highlight.  I filled them with candy treats, a joke, and a little gift. 

Grandpa's false mustache makes me happy.  I knew he'd be a good sport about his gift.  

We need more children to fill up the children's table!

A million leftover rolls make a mighty fine french toast casserole.

Moses fell asleep when we were praying for the food and slept through the whole meal.

(Next year, put the snack table outside of the kitchen- so no one congregates there. Thank you and amen.)

We sang the doxology before we feasted... praise God from whom all blessings flow indeed.

7 comments:

Rozy Lass said...

Wow, I didn't even realize those were paper plates. Elegant indeed!! You always make the setting so pretty, I envy your decorating talent. Moses is getting so big! My goodness the days and years are flying by. Thanks as ever for sharing your sweet, lovely, real family. Love and blessings to you.

Anonymous said...

It looks like a perfect celebration.

debbie said...

I love the tree of life whos the artist l

Rebecca said...

Rozy- I had an extra package of those plates that can be used for next year too! I loved them too.

Debbie- I drew the trunk. Most of the kids added the leaves. ;-)

Monica said...

I love your table decor, so lovely! Good idea to use toilet paper rolls—genius! The tree is amazing, especially smiled at the leaf that said “Andrew’s eyebrows”. :) Always love seeing pictures of the Newmans!

Abigail said...

Lovely! And now that the Newman clan knows what a festive and warm space you create for celebrating the day, perhaps this will be your new tradition!

p.s. I keep scrolling back up to admire that picture of Matt's mustachioed dad all over again. It makes me so happy!

Another Rebecca said...

Practically perfect in every way.
(I too love the mustache!!)