What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Friday, March 17, 2023

The Month That Was: February




















Well, February zipped by, didn't it?  And March is following suit.  It is high time I blogged about February, but try squeezing a blog post around 3 children who all require the (single, solitary) computer for at least a portion of their schoolwork each day... when I have a free moment, there is usually schoolwork happening.  It ain't easy, my friends.

My February goals were intense (but necessary) which had the month fly by with barely a notice of the world around me.  We had two cows butchered earlier than expected and so the whole months' goals were surrounded around food: eating it, canning it, organizing it, making room for it, etc.

My goals were thus:

#1 Clean/organize basement  

#2 Empty out freezer.

#3. Do ZERO grocery shopping for the entire month.  This, in order to help me focus on emptying out the freezer and using up what I had. (The exception was the weekly run to my brother-in-laws for farm milk.)

Those are hardcore goals!  

 Every day I was making something yummy from something I had been hoarding for so long I had forgotten I had it in the first place.  The children didn't complain about the many muffin breakfasts or fruit smoothies.  Or soups for lunch or desserts like blueberry rhubarb crisp.  Often I was boiling soup bones to make bone broth and then canning it up.  I canned fruit jams.  I canned quarts (and quarts) of meat. 

I am quite sure my children love the No Grocery Challenge months more than any other time because…  soups and meat for lunch instead of sandwiches.  Meatloaf without feeling guilty from using all that meat!  Desserts! Generous heapings of vegetables in the stir fry! Oh, look!  A bag of french fries- let's eat them for lunch!

We literally had to eat (or can) through an ENTIRE CHEST FREEZER... it was nuts.

Somewhere around the food and freezer madness, we tore off socks and shoes on a 65 degree day and went to the creek just to put them back on a day later, in time for a few snowstorms.  Matt celebrated another birthday (like four times, because he is spoiled).  Aunt Holly treated some of us (non-working~ sorry, Corynn!) girls to a dinner-theater production of Cinderella, Valentine treats and cards were made and delivered, I was given a sourdough pet, we had an egg-roll making day (which deserves a post of its' own), Matt bought me flowers, and I was able to meet my exercise 3x/week goals every single week along with all the daily ones.

Overall, February was a very productive month.  Too productive, if you ask me.  

This month I've been taking it easy...

And it feels oooh, sooooooooooooooo goooooooooooooooooooooood.

5 comments:

Rozy Lass said...

Your accomplishments are impressive! Those flowers from your sweetheart are a bright spot, so gorgeous. Little (big!) Moses in the pixie hat is totally adorable. Enjoy your restful time before the seasons change again and you're up to your ears in tasks! Looks like the Lord has greatly blessed you.

Els said...

Short month, and you got a lot done!
My neighbour cleared out a chest freezer, so we had rhubarb and redcurrant crumble and some canning to do as well!
The weather has it's ups and downs here in England as well, we had frost and a freezing gale earlier in the week, and this morning I had my coffee out in the sunshine :)
Loooooooove your updates!

Els said...

I'm not that unknown, last message was from Els

Monica said...

Love the “dump photo” posts! My favorite!

Abigail said...


February is supposed to be one of the slower months of the year, lady. You nailed it, ha! ;)

I am super-impressed by your dedication and ALL THOSE CHECKS! Well done, Rebecca.

I enjoyed all the yummy (er...lovely) images in this post, too. So glad you figured out the photo-transfer problem so we can all enjoy your photography again! And next time, perhaps, I'll comment in a timely fashion instead of dropping dozens in one dread swoop.