What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Saturday, March 09, 2024

It pays to clean


Still working my way through the spring-cleaning list... slowly, but surely. 

And making cheese.  Which is, in a way, cleaning out the fridge.  Sort of.



This past week I was particularly proud because I cleaned out from under our bed.  

This is not a thing I do.  

Monsters live down there and I don't want to cross them. 

And a whole host of things that will make me sneeze.  

So, of course, I avoid it like the plague.

But this week, I decided the time had come... and now under the bed looks like this:



(I should mention I have more than two pairs of shoes. But if you saw my shoes, you would NOT see that I mopped the wood that was LITERALLY furry 10 minutes previous.)

And just like when you give a Mouse a Cookie, it inevitably leads to something else... 

I wound up tackling the rest of the room too.

For over a year I have not seen the surface of this vanity.  (Don't judge.)

 While cleaning the under-the-bed Inferno, I found that the dust bunnies were hoarding a portrait of me someone had made me in college.  I had entirely forgotten about this moment in history.  

They got my nose all wrong. 

In fact, I appear quite Barbie-ish in this portrait (which I assure you was never an accurate representation.)  

Nevertheless, it is a sweet memory that was once lost and then was found.  

I plunked it in a frame and it makes me smile.  (Even though now I am even less Barbie-ish than I was back then!)


In cleaning up the rotting fruit bowl, I decided to make banana muffins for breakfast tomorrow and Ina Garten's no-sugar, no-flour oatmeal raisin cookies this morning.  The cookies were an experiment.

If YOU are ever tempted to try no-sugar, no-flour cookies (even if they are from Ina Garten), I am gonna stop you right there.  

Just don't do it. 

 You're welcome. 

4 comments:

Rozy Lass said...

Thanks for the tip on the "cookies". I think there needs to be another word for concoctions of that sort. A cookie is something yummy made with butter, sugar, eggs, and flour, and then some flavorings and yummy bits. Anything else can't be a cookie!
I wish I could taste your cheese, I love cheese!
What a nice way to begin spring with a clean room.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, now I have to add “under the beds” to my list. I can’t believe I didn’t remember that originally. :) It’s looking great! Feels good too, doesn’t it? xo Monica

Anonymous said...

And I totally agree with Rozy Lass on the cookies…it must have four of the basic staple ingredients or don’t bother. Ha! It’s weight loss food for a reason—because we would only eat one and dump the others! Ha!

another Rebecca said...

I appreciate Ina for trying. And I appreciate you for also trying and alerting the rest. For those who can't tolerate dairy or grains it takes a lot of trial & error to find what works, and your taste will change over time with all of the experiementing when you are better off leaving out the things you once enjoyed. I now have a banana cacao muffin recipe that is grain-free, dairy-free and no added sugar. J and I LOVE them, but the rest of the people in our world don't think much of them. Win some/lose some. :)