What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Eggstravaganza~

There is an abundance of eggs at our house-and they needed to get used up. That happens when, I buy eggs 1 1/2 dozen at a time, and Matt buys eggs from a coworker! Needless to say, I had to come up with something to DO with these eggs to use them up and make more room in our small fridge. One of Matt's favorite EGG eats are Pickled Eggs. So, I made them this morning along with some egg salad. Since not many people have heard of pickled eggs, I thought I would put the recipe out in cyberspace for all those brave souls willing to try something new. The recipe make A LOT which can be canned and such-but it can also be divided with good results. I used about one third of the ingredients to make my batch today.

Pickled Eggs
1 1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 t. crushed red pepper
6 t. Pickling Spice *
6 c. white vinegar
2 Large cans of Beet Juice
4 cloves garlic

Hard boil 4 dozen eggs.
Mix all ingredients (except garlic) and bring to a boil. Let simmer for one minute. Put garlic in jar (old bulk pickle jars work well....) with 4 dozen eggs. Pour beet juice mixture over eggs. Let set in fridge for 2 days. Shake jug occasionally. If low on juice add white vinegar to cover eggs.
CAN ADD HOT SAUCE 4 T. PER GALLON.

* I don't have pickling spice so I looked it up and made some of my own. Pickling spice contains mustard seed (I substituted ground mustard), cinnamon (crazy, huh?), bay leaves,black pepper, cardamom, all spice, ginger, turmeric, and mace. I just put it all together in what I thought would be good proportions-and it worked.

For those of you who try this recipe... let me know how it turns out and what you think of your pickled egg experience!

7 comments:

Abigail said...

I've never had a pickled egg. Do they taste more like pickles or eggs, if either? (I love pickles and once ate an entire quart jar of my mother's homemade ones after returning from school one day.)

Has Matt ever eaten an entire jar of pickled eggs in one sitting?

So many silly questions, when all I really want is the ability to reach through the computer and sample one before deciding to make my own. :)

Matt said...

Pickled eggs is really a misnomer. It's more like 'Soaked Eggs'. The eggs acquire a taste somewhere between a beet and hot peppers. They're best eaten in the following fashion: Bite off the top of the egg to expose a table-like surface. Add copious amounts of horseradish and/or mustard. Comsume. Typically follow with a bevarage of one's choosing. Continue this cycle at your own discretion.

So, in short, they taste nothing like pickles. Eating three or four in a row is normal. I'm not sure I want to know what's it's like to eat an entire jar.

Abigail said...

I think I would like these, but I'm wondering if a substitute for the beet juice exists. I think they would be yummy with mustard, but the thought of mustardy, beet-y eggs doesn't sound as good to me as mustardy, pickled eggs.

p.s. If I like them, I will discover the results of eating an entire jar in one sitting for you...

Rebecca said...

OKay-for the record. While Matt says they were made perfectly and couldn't stop "Mmmmmm!"-ing, my first bite was my last. They tasted too vinegary for me. I did NOT try them with mustard.

As for substituting beets...the recipe says you can just use red food coloring instead of beet juice if you are so inclined.

Matt said...

Abby,
Recipe sheshipee, you MUST use beet juice. If you use any other liquid, I will not be fascinated with you eating an entire jar.

Abigail said...

Rebecca,
Thanks for the tip! Thanks for the recipe, too. I love it when you post recipes on your blog.

Matt,
If it's ingesting the beet juice that's so impressive, I will drink a quart jar of beet juice (without the eggs).

Leah said...

Here's another idea! After consuming a quart jar full of pickled beets, add hard-boiled eggs to the juice left in the jar. Soak in the refigerator for several days. Then consume the whole jar of pickled eggs!

My mother-in-law did this just recently, although I haven't consumed any of the eggs. :(