What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Heavy Hearts and Hurried Haste, and Things that Beautify a Place...

I have been so wrapped up in baby Samuel, I haven't really "written" anything in a while. I thought it was about time, even if there is nothing spectacular to write about. I am busily preparing for my adventurous weekend. I have been trying to get caught up on laundry but the weather is making the drying part very difficult. I want to get it all taken care of 1) so Corynn and I have clothes, 2) so I don't have an avalanche when I get home and 3) so Matt doesn't have to worry about it while I am gone. I have been trying to get together different foods while I am away, for Matt to eat. I have put yard sale bins away-that was long overdo! And basically just kind of tidying so Matt doesn't deal with it and I won't be overwhelmed when I return.

I have also been busy doing things to "beautify" the church. So much work has been done to the church, much of the cosmetic stuff was done on Saturday's work day. With just four guys and myself, we managed to paint the ENTIRE downstairs completely! The next day a person came back a did a second coat on the floor and we are DONE! The walls are yellow going up to the stencilling and then left white so it looks like a border. The floor is green. It all comes together nicely because the stencilling if of golden wheat and green stems. I just finished making floral centerpieces for the tables. I have posted a picture for you to see. I am also hoping to write some special verses ornately and have them framed (with pressed violets and grasses that I had pressed last year)for wall hangings to replace the yucky ones that were lucky enough to be ruined in the flood. Since I am doing two of them , I am limited and therefore want to pick the "best" most all-encompassing ones. Each and every church has short-comings, though some may not like to admit it. Perhaps this is...oh, too presumptuous...too spiritual...too wacko...but I would like to have them serve as a beacon some how. To provoke thought and encourage change, to visually remind people things they may already know but never fully adopt. It would be nice to unify a church that isn't as unified as it should be-on MANY different levels. I know it is a lot to ask of just a single verse...and certainly it is the Holy Spirit at work within us that can be the initiator of change and the revealer of truths-but certainly all can agree there are means to that end as well. Any suggestions would be gladly taken.

I have not even started Elizabeth's quilt but hope to tonight. Leah gave me WONDERFUL advice, for which I am SOOOO thankful, that should speed the process up a bit. I can't go into it since Elizabeth now has access to this blog. Don't want to ruin any surprises! I really want it to be done for the baptism but as it stands right now-I am not so sure.

I am not looking forward to being away from Matt from Thursday to late Saturday night. The other day I got a flat tire-but only saw it after I had been driving for-oh, well, 30 miles! I guess I bent the rim up pretty bad and so Matt won't be driving it until we get another spare and we get the rim fixed or replaced-whatever. I am going to miss him like crazy. This will be the longest I have been away from him ever since we've been married. I guess it is preparing me for next week when he has to go on a three-day conference.
I am also worried about Corynn...she is going to be in an environment so unlike the one she lives is normally. She will be away from her Daddy longer than ever before. I will be preoccupied (very!)and not able to give her the attention I do normally. I really hope, for her sake, it isn't too overwhelming for her. I am planning on bringing some books, sewing stuff and some scrapbooking stuff for those "alone" times (HA!).

My heart is made heavy with all of the concerns I have; the upcoming weekend pales in comparision to the heartbreaking struggles my family is going through and the great struggles and problems within our church. I am made fully aware of the great need for wisdom. Forgiveness. Humility. Compassion. Sacrifice. I am also fully aware that many see no such need or even worse, won't seek these changes out of laziness. It occurs to me that these sins are the result of the great immaturity of Christians these days...and I wonder why it is so. I have my theories. One thing I know for sure, is that we are in need of a reformation. We are in need of spiritual maturity-and it just doesn't seep in through osmosis. We can not rely on getting spiritual maturity through leaders of a church or from the Pastor one day a week. It is not the responsibility of the Pastor to give us all we need...for he can not. We are given a charge, on an individual basis, to seek after wisdom and knowledge...to grow in grace. We must not be so quick to shift the blame onto others, for only we can be responsible for our thoughts and actions.

My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;
So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;
Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up they voice for understanding;
If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;
Then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God.
Proverbs 2:1-5

4 comments:

Abigail said...

First, the music of your post title lured me in immediately. Second, I wonder where you're traveling this weekend, but I fault myself for not knowing, as my letter to you lies unfinished on the bookshelf. :)
Third, the floral arrangements are just what a freshly painted basement needs! Fourth, a message for Corynn: "Be at peace this weekend, dear child; be blind to anything but contented bliss."

Your description of the church helped me envision it, and it looks lovely! (I would enjoy seeing pictures of the finished basement and your artistic additions to it, but then you already know of my weakness for pictures.)

I don't have any suggestions for the framed verses. Your sense of aesthetics will shape them well, and you probably know much better than I what verses might encourage the church group to be united with each other and to the Father.

"We are given a charge, on an individual basis, to seek after wisdom and knowledge...to grow in grace."
I would add that not only do the scriptures charge the individual to act rightly, but consistently charge the body of Christ as a whole, as well(as your post implied). The rampant, individualistic desires of church members splinter unity, and only both individual and communal repentence will advance the unity that Christ commands us to pursue.

I pray that your heart heaviness--over church and family--will have good reason to lift, and that this weekend be filled with spots of joy.

Rebecca said...

Thanks for the comments Abby. This weekend, I am needed at my parents' house to take care of the chillins while my parents attend a two-day seminar. I hope beyond hope Corynn is a wise one and takes heed to your blessing! :-)
I plan to take some pictures of the church and post them...what a difference! Of course, to get the full affect....you should really see it in person! I am also hoping to take pre-clean up/post flood pictures and make a before and after photo board since many didn't see the mess beforehand. Probably won't be done this weekend, though.
That is a good point, you add. Though I didn't stress it within the post, I do agree that the church body has a great responsibility toward God and one another. Far too often the individual's desires are furthered at the expense of the whole Body. I wrote about our duty as individuals before God, because many people have approached me with the idea that they can go to church once a week and within that time, they can be filled with the Holy Spirit, learn all that needs to be learned, and come out being spiritually fed for the rest of the week...thus placing the burden on the church. While there is some truth to this (we SHOULD leave church feeling spiritually refreshed), being spiritually fed and full from the meat of the Scriptures is a process that requires every day of your life and every initiative on your part. Once a week is not enough, regardless of the talents and gifts of the Pastor or congregation.

Abigail said...

I apologize if it seemed as if I was correcting you. I was just thinking aloud [by type] on a related issue. I agree completely that we should be seeking righteousness in our own lives daily and not relying on a "Lord's Day fix," and I knew that you weren't implying otherwise in your thoughts. John and I have talked in the past, though, about how the influence the Western concept of individualism has harmed the Church, and that's the direction my mind wandered after reading--and agreeing with-- your post. Have a good "visit" with ALL THOSE KIDS! Good practice for the future, eh? :)

Rebecca said...

My dear Abigail~ Don't you know? You must never apologize for correction if it is needed! I am glad you wrote what you did...not only did you point out a weakness and/or misinterpretation-but if you hadn't...I wouldn't have gotten a comment! ;-) My problem is I think something, then write it-thinking everyone will see exactly what I mean-even if it is incomplete. I certainly need practice at expounding upon a topic-looking at it from both angles to be complete. I would make a sorry pastor...that's for sure. I would probably talk only about Heaven and not about Hell. Or only about Grace but not about works. Balance is needed in every topic. Good thing that's not my calling! ;-)