What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Little Moments

Today has been a lazy day here. It has been so cold in the house, I have only wanted to curl up on the couch under a blanket and read-which I did this morning. It is dangerous to start new books for me…they blind me to work that needs to be done and lure me to a cushy seat. This afternoon, though, I finally bucked up and got going on the needed tasks. This weekend was a busy one-with decorating for a baby shower on Friday, my last craft show of the season being successfully completed on Saturday, and our Christmas tree brought in and decorated on Sunday. This along with some present wrapping and hiding, reading, cooking, shopping, and similar preparations made for a busy weekend. Today I just have to do the rest of the house decorating-outside lights, hang the stockings on the wall with care (we have no chimney…), put our nativity out, and strategically plant Christmasy fabrics and florals throughout to make things festive. (Most of which I have done or are in the process of doing!) I also want to bake a batch of cookies-Matt’s pick was Oatmeal Raisin for this week. Tomorrow is a big day of cleaning the house and packing away the craft stuff for another year. Then I have to get cracking on my Christmas cards…I made them this year so that is neat.
Baby Peanut Moment: I have never known a more active in-utero baby (I am such an expert having had only one child!) but this little one is an energetic little tyke! And what is most fascinating to me about dear Peanut, is that when I feel him/her moving and put my hand in a spot on my belly-Peanut will seek it out and kick it with purpose. I am not sure if it is just a love tap or a “stop pushing me!” but either way, it seems like we are connected.
Corynn Moment:
Corynn asked to color this afternoon so I sketched a Christmas tree for her to color and drew circles of red inside as ornaments. I sat down to watch her as she worked and saw her draw her own circle ornaments and colored in mine. I was very impressed with her work…they were not perfect circles-but neither are mine. And she strayed out of the lines a bit-but goodness…she is TWO YEARS OLD! She always impresses me, which is yet another reason why I have this fear that I will fail her as a homeschool mom. Will I challenge her enough but not too much? Will she excel under my supervision or will I expect too much of her? Will I devote enough time to homeschooling or will I continue to be tempted when she is ‘of age’, as I am now, to not worry about it? So many concerns!
On to bigger and better things(well, maybe not bigger and better but certainly less stressful!)…I have been searching and searching for child-sized metal pots and pans to go along with the apron I am making for Corynn to no avail-until yesterday when I just happened to move a box in TJMax and behind it was ONE box of just want I wanted. I was ecstatic! Matt is thinking of making her a wooden ‘kitchen’ with a stove and oven to go along with it, which of course, would turn a very special gift into something magical! We’ll see if he has time.
Finally, the best news of all-we just received a Christmas card today…making it TWO already this season! We have already hung them on the doorway. Corynn is now the official card opener and will not be happy if she can not open the card, ‘read’ it, and then carry it around for the next 30 minutes. She comes up to me at the most random times and puts her empty little palm out exclaiming, “Here Mama! The Mail!”
I will take some photos tonight and hopefully get around to posting them tomorrow. Have a good night!

No comments: