by Edgar Guest
Can't is the worst word that's written or
Doing more harm here than slander and lies;
On it is many a strong spirit broken,
And with it many a good purpose dies.
It springs from the lips of the thoughtless each
And robs us of courage we need through the
It rings in our ears like a timely-sent warning
And laughs when we falter and fall by the
The parent of terror and half-hearted work;
It weakens the efforts of artisans clever,
And makes of the toiler an indolent shirk.
It poisons the soul of the man with a vision,
It stifles in infancy many a plan;
It greets honest toiling with open derision
And mocks at the hopes and the dreams of a
man.Can't is a word none should speak without
To utter it should be a symbol of shame;
Ambition and courage it daily is crushing;
It blights a man's purpose and shortens his
Despise it with all of your hatred of error;
Refuse it the lodgement it seeks in your brain;
Arm against it as a creature of terror,
And all that you dreams of you some day shall
An enemy ambushed to shatter your will;
Its prey is forever the man with a mission
And bows but to courage and patience and
Hate it, with hatred that's deep and undying,
For once it is welcomed 'twill break any
Whatever the goal you are seeking, keep trying
And answer this demon by saying: "I can."
- I *can* grocery shop with four children. (even if it means wearing the baby!)
- I *can* survive the cross-eyes and stares when the whole family goes to town.
- I *can* still carve out moments to read my OWN books, even if it is late at night and in bed.
- We *can* still drink water when the electricity goes out (thanks to the stored water in the basement.)
- I *can* feel protected, even when it seems the world is against me.
- I *can* be cherished and loved, if only I let him.
- God *can* use me to mold my childrens' lives, despite my many failings
- We *can* trust in His will.
- We can accomplish all that we ought in school (and enjoy doing it!)
- I *can* still manage a nice meal every now and again.
- I *can* happily heat up the kitchen with canning and baking on this brisk, cool, ever-rainy days
- I *can* still take notes on lectures, even if I am not getting a popquizz on Friday. Learning is never over...not even for me.
- I *can* find joy in the mundane
- I *can* take a moment to do puzzles.
- I *can* find value without dollar signs.
- I *can* seek truth.
- I *can* keep answering when the "Why's" keep coming.
- I *can* still snuggle a 7 year old.
- I *can* depend on others.
- I *can* still be surprised by the things he does. (In a good way.)
- I *can* sing in the midst of tears.
- I *can* depend on Matt.
- I *can* be strong.
- I *can* create.
- I *can* make mistakes and be forgiven.
- I *can* lose weight.
- I *can* be gracious.
- I *can* be beautiful, being made in His image.
- I *can* forgive.
- I *can* be self-controlled.
- I *can* be content.
- I *can* be productive.
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." phillipians 4:13
So thankful for the possibilities within me and the fresh start I am given each week, each day, each moment. All are gifts, all worthy of a number.