It is satisfying to roll up your sleeves, work hard and then see the end results.
As we await the auction people coming to clear out the house of all of Grams things, Matt and I figure we ought to start working where we CAN. So we began work on the outside of the property.
I dug up all my perennials, over 20 of them and was sore the rest of the day. The children barely fit in the car the next morning as we took them over to the new house to dig holes...AGAIN....for them to be planted.
I placed the flowers between the existing rose bush and lilacs, forming a huge circle that will one day have an entrance of climbing clematis. (The clematis I have, the thing on which the clematis climbs I do not. Yet.) In my head is a sort of floral retreat maybe housing a bench or picnic table in the center (but for now, picnic blankets will do just fine) surrounded by lavish flowers and intermingled with herbs.
The neighbor has been coming to mow the lawn and so I ribbon-ed it off so my transplants would stay safe~(while it is very generous of him to keep the yard cared for as the house stands empty, he has been known to mow down peonies).
Adele' was a real help and did all the ribboning off. Her chubby little two year old fingers in the ribbon spool and her careful walking backwards were too cute for words.
I still have to transplant my strawberry patch and find a lovely little out of the way place where my mint can stretch out its little arms and bask in the sunshine, where it can grow and grow to its little hearts content.
While I did this~ Matt worked on fixing a barn roof and clearing the stubble from those left-to-themselves, bachelors of barns.
The end result of two very busy days....
It really was a shame to see it go, I loved that part of the barn~ it had character. But it just had to go...it was just waiting for the right opportunity to fall on innocent bystanders.