Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. That's me.
I was cursing the self-inflicted Buy-Nothing-But-Dairy-in-February grocery challenge by February 2nd!
It all began when I realized all my peppermint tea was gone. And all my GREEN tea was gone. (Iced peppermint and green tea are every day STAPLES in my life!) I have only one bunch of dried peppermint leaves left from this summer and that will only last me a week or two (if I am lucky). HOW WILL I SURVIVE?!?!?!
THEN, I realized that my STEVIA was all gone! How will I lose weight?
THEN, I realized I only have 1 green pepper, a few cherry tomatoes and a big bag of carrots left. And NO LETTUCE. We won't be having ANY fresh vegetables for the entire month?!?! I have no words.
(This was about when I started to panic.)
Well, I guess they don't call it a 'challenge' for anything.
But seriously, WHY would I pick the middle of winter for a buy-nothing-but-dairy grocery challenge? The garden isn't producing. The chickens aren't laying. What was I THINKING???
Like I said~ Dumb, dumb, dumb.
That said, perhaps it will give me a bit of perspective on how people once
Here was this weeks' meals.
Matt was out of town this week (AGAIN. Nightmare. Torture. Rot. Hiss.) and the one (and only) consolation I have when he is out of town is that I can serve fast, thoughtless JUNK food because the kids think it is such a treat and I am too depressed to care. So don't think too poorly of me when you read this weeks' menu. 'Kay? Kay.
Breakfast: oatmeal with raisins
Lunch: tuna fish sandwiches
Dinner: chili cheese fries (using homemade beans and homemade cheese sauce)
Breakfast: homemade yogurt, bananas
Lunch: left over chili (from last night) atop tortilla chips
Dinner: roasted root vegetables with garlic and 1 package of kielbasa, roasted too. CousCous. Fruit Salad with yogurt. (Andrew made it!)
3rd: Monday. Spent the day uptown with my Mom!
Breakfast: toast with peanut butter, bananas, yogurt
Lunch: impromptu Chinese buffet.
Dinner: chicken fingers, french fries, HC (*homecanned) green beans and HC applesauce
Breakfast: scrambled eggs, toast (homemade bread)
Dinner: chicken, onion and cheddar quesadillas, apple wedges and HC pickles.
Breakfast: blueberry scones
Dinner: Goulash with cheddar garlic Italian sausage, peas and beans
Breakfast: cheesy eggs and a blueberry scone
Dinner: cream of summer squash soup with croutons, roasted red pepper hummus and crackers. (I made twice as much so we would have soup for lunch tomorrow and then the children ate all of it but two bowls worth. Stinkin' kids. ;-)
Breakfast: cornmeal mush with HC elderberry syrup
Lunch: leftovers- some got goulash, some got soup
Dinner: PIZZA NIGHT! I am planning a pepperoni, onion and pepper pizza and a four-cheese pizza. Carrot sticks on the side.
Some other frugal/financial efforts this week:
* did our taxes myself (saved us over $75.00 in fees)
* listed a wedding dress on ebay
* saved bread 'heels' and made dried bread crumbs with them
* went to Salvation Army (first time in ages...probably A YEAR) and bought a few half-price clothes and eight curtain panels for $1.99 a piece. I also got the complete Sister Wendy Art movies for .29 per movie!
* saved canned chicken juice for animals.
* saved eggshells for chickens (calcium)
* borrowed a boatload of books from the library for school (and pleasure)
* went to a discount store called Ollie's that always has nice new books and got several for Christmas/birthday presents for $2-3.00 a piece. I also got a Biggest Loser workout DVD for $3.00. I like the Biggest Loser DVD's because I like to see real people struggling to workout instead of model people smiling away while I am huffing and puffing and about to die. ;-) I only had one before- now I can alternate.
* ordered a few Dover Publisher coloring books and clip-art books. Coloring books are for school. Clip art is to begin making homemade cards instead of buying stationary/cards. Maybe adding to Etsy shop too. (We'll see) Used a $15.00 off coupon plus a free shipping deal.
* Hung clothes to dry by woodstove (towels, jeans, sweaters, heavy stuff)
* made homemade hummus from dried chickpeas and my own frozen roasted red peppers from last years' garden.
* printed some vintage valentine clip art from Dover's Free Samples (sign up for free email samples at doverpublications.com)
* was given a Lilla Rose flexi-clip in exchange for a review (good or bad). Giving one away too- don't forget to enter the giveaway!
* watched the Bill Nye vs Ken Ham Answers in Genesis Creation/Evolution Debate online.
* Made two batches of homemade soap (rose and vanilla bean) using tallow I rendered myself. (LONG OVERDUE!)
* worked on a crochet gift
* made homemade toothpaste (LONG OVERDUE!)
* Marinated a batch of beef strips for jerky.
* made chocolate chip cookies for our neighbor who came and plowed the driveway for me, just because he noticed I was snowed in. (so sweet.)
~ the lady who did our taxes last year (hated her!) really messed things up and never filed NYS tax return so I have to do that this year (and pay for it!) even though I paid HER to do it last year.
~ went to a chinese place for lunch on Monday. It was an edible treat (Adele' and Judah I don't think have ever gone before? and the older ones have only gone once or twice in their lifetimes) but a financial fail.
~ The books, while great prices for gifts, was STILL a splurge. We'll call it RETAIL THERAPY. And it felt GOOOOOOD.
~ two sliced of leftover pizza from last week never got used up and were wasted.
What about you?
Do you have anything financial to share this week?
As always~ PLEASE link to your SPECIFIC blog post, not your entire blog. It could be ways you saved or stretched or strategically spent those pennies...or even inspiration you found or quotes... but please link to a post about SOMETHING financial! Lastly, please link back to my blog and maybe others would like to share!