What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Thursday, March 05, 2015

A Milk Challenge



15 gallons of milk sit chilled in the mudroom and counter, waiting for me to stop pretending they aren't there and actually do something with them.  It is such a constant struggle for me to keep on top of milk, particularly on weeks when we have no one taking any off of our hands.  Every few days I make something but by the next morning, the milk I used up to make that something has been replenished from that mornings milking.  

When it gets to this point, I know something drastic must be done or I will never get caught up.  And quite frankly, I am kind of sick of it all.  So today I am taking a Dairy Maid challenge- challenges always seem to make the tediousness of kitchen work more fun- how many gallons can I use up in one day?  We shall see.

Expect a bunch of pictures of....MILK...tomorrow.  (how exciting.)

I'll not only tell you how I do, I'll show you.  

8 comments:

Megan @ Purple Dancing Dahlias said...

Oh to have milk. We just dried up our little dairy cow because she will calf in two months.

Do you make kefir? Super easy! When we were making daily smoothies we were going through a 1/2 gallon of kefir a day.

If you would like some grains to make kefir I would love to send you some. I have lots of extras!

Cindy said...

sounds fun. can't wait to see the results.

Julian said...

Excited to see what you've done! :) christina

Rozy Lass said...

I wish I could buy it from you. We live in Iowa where it is illegal to sell raw milk. I don't feel comfortable asking around to see who is willing to share, because I don't want to get anyone in trouble, or such. I have enjoyed fresh milk on several occasions and love it. Best of luck to you in your quest to use it up.

Rosemary said...

I wish I lived near you
Go, Rebecca, go!

Chris said...

I am very jealous!! I spend almost $50 each week, just on milk, cheese, and yogurt. AND that is rationing and not buying all we could really use. AND it's store-bought, not $7 per gallon raw milk. I can't imagine having more than what I could use.

Rebecca said...

Megan- thanks for the offer! I don't know much about kefir and use whey often enough to make smoothies and stuff. Maybe I'll take you up on that offer later after I've done a bit of prep work and research?

Boy do I wish I could pass some milk along to all of you ladies! I know we are blessed beyond measure here- but like the Israelites gathering manna from heaven- I find myself tempted to complain even still.

Chris- I was just telling Matt, when Penny began to freshen I was so excited to cut down our grocery bill because the bulk of the bill was milk, cheese, butter, etc. But the prices of everything has gone up so much this past year I haven't seen any savings at all- in fact, I can't seem to get out of the grocery store under budget- MY OLD BUDGET-WITH THE MILK. So frustrating!

Megan @ Purple Dancing Dahlias said...

Milk kefir is super easy!

Kefir grains + raw milk + 24 hours on the counter in a mason jar with a solid cover.

Strain out kefir grains and repeat.