What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Thursday, January 24, 2019

Get On With It

Because I do this thing... here are my FAILURES for all the world to see and admire!  (WHY do I do this thing again?!?!)

2018 goals...

Financial
(thanks to puppies and tax returns, we were able to accomplish a lot here!)
. save to pay for a new window in Dining Room (replacing the one that is currently broken in half and being held together by duct tape.)
. pay off Rebecca medical bills and start on Adele' medical bills. (just in time for Judah medical bills!)
. pay off van
. pay for cow to be butchered
. pay off credit card BEFORE tax return (twice!)
. begin Andrew dental work fund.  VERY IMPORTANT.
. pay half of tractor loan
. Review/Revise Budget at the start of every month.  

~ Hopestead ~
. repaint living room
. try growing spaghetti squash (they are GOOD!)
. add at least one nut tree/bush
. add grapes  (though I think they died...)
. make new strawberry patch using any plants I can find still growing in the old one.
. re-do girls room, staying within budget (I added to the girls room fund until we reached our financial goal but Matt never found the time to get the project started.  But it is happening...this is the next big project in the queue.)

~ Personal ~
. read scripture at least 3 times a week.  (Log in book journal books as they are completed until whole Bible has been read.) I can't say I did this without fail but I was pretty good until about halfway through the year and then it started to fizzle a bit.  :-(  I wasn't faithful enough at this to scratch it out though.  Work in Progress.
. pray often for the Parsig family this year  (Turns out, this was the most prayerful year I've ever lived.)
schedule computer time
. lose at least 10 pounds by July (I'd like to say 20 but let's be real, shall we?) (Thanks to the keto diet, I lost 26 pounds.  And then, because I am a stress eater and had one of the most stressful events of my life, I wound up gaining 20 of it back from September to January.  No.  I DON'T want to talk about it.)
. exercise at least 3 times a week through winter. (I'd like to do this all year but hot summers and busy canning seasons always shut me down.  I want to be sure I can check this off next January- so I am giving myself grace.  I can certainly continue after winter.) (HA. No I can't!   I am SO not an exerciser.)
. read more books than last year.  Continue to log them (At least 22 books.)(I read 25!  Booyah!)*
. Read aloud at least 12 for-pleasure chapter books to children. (not 12 total but MORE than in the past- so I am heading in the right direction.)**
. read at least one Lord of the Rings book with Corynn (shoot!  I thought this was Harry Potter so I made sure to squeeze that in this year.  Not realizing it was Lord of the Rings!  Yikes.  This reminds me though- because I listened to it on audiobook, I never logged it into my book log...which means I read 26 books.  Booyah again.)
. Make a Heritage photo album of all of the old photos we keep accumulating and/or are making copies of.  Nothing fancy- just put them in an album instead of in old books.  ;-)
. Less than 10 cups of soda the whole year.  (Only in emergency cases of extreme migraine/sleep exhaustion.  Again- grace.) (Only Eight.  Woot Woot!)
. Make Judah baby album
. Do enough yarn projects this year to empty at least one basket of yarn. (I am gonna strike this out because I used a lot of yarn this year- but because I shift yarn from basket to basket as I am using it- I never actually wound up with an empty basket.  But I am pretty sure I used up a basket worth of yarn up.) 
. Make handmade gifts for my parents and parents' in law for Christmas next year. (Made the Moms handmade gifts but not the Dads.)

* Books/Audiobooks for Myself:

The River of Doubt by Candice Millard
Popes and Feminists by Elise Crapuchettes
Lila by Marilynne Robinson
The Question of God by Armand Nicholi
The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester
And Still She Laughs by Kate Merrick
Jack and Jill by Louisa May Alcott
Killing The Rising Sun by Bill 'O Reilly
The Joyful Christian by C.S.Lewis
The Deluded Atheist by Douglas Wilson
Seven Men by Eric Metaxas
Home by Marilynne Robinson
Killer Angel by George Grant
Is Jesus Coming Soon? by Gary Demar
Mere Christianity by C.S.Lewis
Godric by Fredrick Buechner
Howards End is on the Landing by Susan Hill
The Old Man and the Sea by E. Hemmingway
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
The Afterlife of Billy Fingers by Annie Kagan
Adopted For Life by Russell Moore
Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover
A Grief Observed by C.S.Lewis
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
The Nine Tailors by Dorothy Sayers

** Books/Audiobooks with Children:

Echo by Pam Munoz (I prefer the audiobook to the actual book-it is excellent!)
The Wonder Book by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Harry Potter: The Sorcerers' Stone by J.K.Rowling
The Green Ember by S.D.Smith
Nooks and Crannies by Jessica Lawson
The Flint Heart by Edin Phillpots
Nightbird by Alice Hoffman
Mary Poppins by P.L.Travers
Trial and Triumph by Richard Hannula (still working through this)

And to make me feel less like a loser, and end this thing with a BANG, I put all my handmades into one handy dandy photo collage....just goes to show you a little bit of time eeked out every now and again really does add up to something!



5 comments:

Rozy Lass said...

Sounds like a prolific and successful year. Keep up the good work!

Making Cents Of It All said...

You sure got a lot done. Don't be to hard on yourself. You have 5 kids and run your whole household.

Ulli said...

You accomplished a lot! Congratulations! The handmades are beautiful and inspiring!

Shirley in Washington said...

Can I add one more item to your list? Something else that you accomplished? Reading your blog this year was a great encouragement to me in my year of loss and grieving. Thank you! Shirley in Washington

also Rebecca said...

You do this thing because it is part of being amazing you! I knit my very first hat this winter, and let me assure you that I would not post a picture of it for the world to see. My sweet Other's comment was "there's a hole in it." Sigh. But the pictures of yours inspire me to try, try again.