What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Misplaced Aspirations

I love signing. I love the Deaf. Ever since college, I have wanted to work with the deaf. I have taught Corynn quite a few signs and plan to keep teaching her. I started out because I wanted to be able to tell her to "STOP!" in church without anyone seeing or hearing me. Of course, then when she became "of age" I realized it would help her fits if she could communicate with me even if she couldn't yet speak. And so it did. After more thought, I wanted her to learn signs so that she can be better equipped to use them if ever the need, and more importantly, for her to learn to love people, regardless of any problems they may have.
Many people comment on me teaching her these signs. Some think that it will slow her speech. The way she jabbers...I HIGHLY doubt that! Others ask why I don't teach other children (in other words-go out and get a job.) Why, MY child isn't as important as someone else's?!?! I hate it when people give me pitying looks seemingly saying "Such a pity-what a waste..."
Someday I DO want to interpret for the Deaf. When all my children are grown, I hope to get my certificate and interpret on my own. It is a passion of mine, for sure and for certain. I would love to know a family who would need my services for doctor's appointments and such. A situation where I could work yet not have anything come in the way of my primary responsibilities. Who knows what the Lord has in store. Who knows? Maybe he has given me this passion because I am going to have a deaf child of my own. I don't know.
I do know that just because my child isn't deaf, that doesn't mean SHE doesn't need me now to teach her.
How can people, in good conscience, ask why you don't go "help the world-help the children-make a difference" yet ask you to NOT help the world, NOT help your children-and NOT make a difference in your child(ren)s' and husbands' life by doing so? Why are we so willing to sacrifice our own for the good of another. Surely, it sounds good-but is it good for you to not teach your children and instead send them to daycare in order to become a teacher so you can teach someone else's? Is it ever good to sacrifice your husband's rights, in order to go become a secretary and become another man's helper? Why are we so twisted up and confused? It certainly isn't just "the world" that thinks these things but blue-blooded Christians born and raised. Is it EVER a good thing to sacrifice at the expense of your family in order to create a center to help those in need...even if it is "within" the church? Why don't people find the true and wonderful value of working within their family that they might grow and work within theirs and that they might in turn work within theirs? Does no one see the gloriousness of the family? These days, poor husbands are more alone then they were before they were married. Poor children, are held at the esteem of orphans the way they are shipped off to this school and that club and daycare, and soccer...anything to keep them AWAY.
I am so blessed to be home where I can be all the things that are required of me. I know it is not all for nought. I see the use of me in my husbands' eyes, or when he comes to me for advice or when he relies on me for his needs. I see the use of me as my child is learning to become independent, when she is learning to be kind to others, when she helps me or her daddy pick things up or throw things away.
Those pitying glances, perhaps, are the pitying glances in their hearts as they fervently want something that they don't have. Probably not for them-but that's how I see it.

2 comments:

trawlerman said...

There's a deaf/mute character in the Stephen King book I'm reading right now. Maybe I'll give it to Corynn when I'm done. You could read it to her (interpreting through sign, of course) before bed.

let me know.

N said...

I randomly found your blog and I like it, because it's simple, it about you (I guess): the simpleness of life and the miracles of God!

In Christ, Noelia.