What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Stewart Skills Put to Test

Tomorrow marks the second week of living in our Happy Valley home. And we are expecting COMPANY! Hurrah! No-not ONE visitor-not TWO-but THREE all in the span of five weeks. My MIL is coming from Friday AM-Saturday AM. My BIL and SIL are coming Saturday AM-Sunday PM. Then my parents and the three kiddos are coming out Sunday PM-Tuesday afternoon for my birthday! That is a grand total of EIGHT guests in FIVE days after living here TWO weeks-which gives me THREE and a HALF days to make things perfect. My head is swimming. Or floating. I can't be sure.

I am desperately trying to finish things up-and I am made more and more aware of the fact that we are in dire need of a storage shed or something to house the leftover boxes that I don't know what to do with. This house really doesn't have any storage. That stinks. I think I may resort to piling up the last of the boxes in a corner and people will just have to overlook them. Bah humbug. I really want first impressions to be GOOD-or maybe GREAT. Yes-definately great! And GREAT is a long way away from here and now. All our visits are overnighters which means meals need to be planned; beds, sheets, and towels need to be readied, and all that jazz. I REALLY look forward to it-just not to the BUILD UP of it. I have a WHOLE LOT TO DO and now I have a time-frame. A SHORT one at that!

So-if I can handle this one with grace and ease, I think I might sign myself up as a Martha Stewart knock off. If only I were rich and wearing an ankle bracelet...

Or maybe my head will just explode and I will sink onto the floor with a goofy grin on my face, stars and birdies crowning my head, scaring bystanders with the sporatic and surprising spasm of my legs and arms. That is more likely, I am afraid.

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

just checking.

Carmichael Family said...

How fun to be getting so much company so soon (well, probably fun once they arrive). And I'm sure they won't care if your house is perfect or not...they're really coming to see YOU. And you did just move in. :)

Wendy said...

Oh Rebecca, everyone knows that you put Martha to shame! It is exciting that both your families are able to come out! I am homesick for my family as well, and my Mom is going to be coming to see me the end of May...(and my house will not be perfect :) )

Michelle said...

I say, do your best but don't knock yourself out over it. Who cares about a few boxes scattered about for a while? They aren't guests, they are FAMILY. Guests are people like the Queen of England or the pastor. :P (All said with a joking tone so you know I am not criticizing, but I am serious about the relaxing!)

Els said...

I've finally figured out how this works. Have been checking your blog for weeks again. Look forward to visit with you, this summer, Lord willing! Anyone going to the White Lake family-camp? I guess your family won't mind if you have not worked everything out yet, after all, you've just had a baby, and just moved. All the best, and dont' forget to enjoy their visit!

Abigail said...

Like everyone else, I have little doubt that first impressions will be great and the visits will be enjoyable. Martha, ha! Who needs her when you're Rebecca?

And if there weren't any boxes laying about two weeks after your move, I'd be suspicious.

Enjoy the whirlwind company!