* baked all our bread needs for the week, including communion bread for church on Sunday.
* made a batch of croutons from the heels and a botched loaf of bread (the inside was too doughy so I cut up the outside for croutons instead of throwing it ALL to the chickens.) Botched bread resurrected and made glorious.
* Used up all leftovers to use it before it was wasted.
* Saved eggshells and scraps for chickens.
* paid all bills. Called about a bill in question to have a $35.00 fee wiped clean off of an account which I had paid off. (Said bill was 1 day late due to a holiday weekend. pshaw!)
* The account that I paid off was for the windows we replaced last summer. It was interest-free financing until October 2014. Generally I like to pay for things in cash. But it was either wipe out our savings or make payments for free. Interest-free is a great deal except when you miss the deadline- then you get hammered. So I wanted to get that bill done and over with ASAP. I've been paying as much extra as I could toward it each month to get it paid off in plenty of time. Glad it is over- and with 7 months to spare!
* paid an extra $300 toward mortgage principle (This was a 'probably-stupid' move, leaving us a bit TOO CLOSE for comfort until next pay period but I did it anyway. The end.)
* made a new batch of Ketchup
* boiled down sap and finished off maple syrup
* started germinating wheat berry seeds to make Easter decorations for the table. (They are growing SUPER fast! I started them too early!)
* borrowed tons of books (and audiobooks) from the library for education and recreation.
* bagged up some clothes and stuff for Salvation Army
* finally got to the liquor store for Vodka to make some more Vanilla Extract!
* Matt fixed our stove issues for me. Handy Man.
* I've been looking around for some good deals on new furniture for the living room. Our couches look nice from the outside but when you sit down on them, you find out just how old they are. Found a few good options. Nothing that will land us on the cover of Country Living or anything- but at least Matt and I will be able to sit next to each other without the back falling backwards! ;-) I am going to wait (and seek) just a bit longer to see if anything else pops up. I am hoping to get a pull-out sofa bed so that we can offer a real bed for sleeping visitors instead of an unreliable blow-up mattress. We'll see. It seems all couches recline for naps (or movies) but sofa beds went out with the 80's for some reason. (The onset of the 'guest bedroom', perhaps?)
FAIL FOR THE WEEK: The last gallon of milk, when poured for dinner, turned out to be chunky. (ew.) Apparently, I kept replacing our milk while that one hid out in the back.
Here are a few things I plan to tackle for today:
- It is a beautiful sunny high-of-51 degree day! Quilts, comforters, sheets and jeans to go on the clothesline! Wa-hoo!
- Make vanilla extract
- Order some things online:
- seeds (so late! Don't say a word.)
- spelling books for Corynn (she's finished hers)
- stove insulation
- a present for Andrew's birthday
- Make a double batch of yogurt
- Bake bread
- And of course, HOMEMADE PIZZA NIGHT! (It seemed to take FOREVER to get to Friday!)
- Work on the cable purse and Corynn's Easter dress tonight (during the movie) and over the weekend.
- Boil some more sap down.