What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Thursday, November 20, 2014

winter harvest



















It was 10 degrees last night.  Absolutely freezing.  And that has been pretty standard for the last week.

Before it went to single digits, I wanted to clear the garden of as many greens as I could.  I knew the plants left in the garden are cold-tolerant and hearty...but HOW cold tolerant and HOW hearty was the question.

  I brought in laundry baskets full of collards and swiss chard.  Bowls and bowls of kale.  An old enamel baby bathtub full of beets.  A vase full of Italian leaf parsley.  And I brought in the half-frozen rosemary to overwinter in the living room.

Judah, rainbow boy, helped me in between beginning his own soggy squash, flowered broccoli and half-rotten watermelon garden.  Next year when melons, squash and broccoli appear in between the cucumbers and tomatoes, I'll remember the boy who braved the cold to be with me.

In the meantime- the swiss chard, kale and collards seem unaffected by the cold.  This may not be the last harvest after all.

5 comments:

Bonnie said...

Yum! We had a high of 10 this week and only after coming in from chores (I do them for the kids when it gets into the teens or lower) the other morning did it dawn on me that I should have brought in my rosemary. But then again this is just past the middle of November and in my head it's still warm enough for it. Sigh.
I'm anxious to hear how all of your greens do. Mine never came up this year (stupid Pinterest idea for seed mats) and is at the top of my to plant list for next year.

Unknown said...

Love the photo of YOU ;) and your doggy is soooo cute. It has been very cold here also...I swear I put away all our mittens/gloves in one spot last year and now I'm only finding a few mismatched pairs. What gives??!!! Grr. I'll probably have to stop at the thrift store for more. Bless ya, Rebecca! <3

Amanda said...

WONDERFUL! Aren't the seasons such a blessing, such a good reminder? What a great harvest. :)

beth said...

love your photographs, as ever ~
i hope you, too, are getting some of today's warm spell-! feels good to thaw.
happiest thanksgiving to you and yours ~
b in va

Abigail said...

Just used a bunch of spinach in soup tonight! It seems like forever ago that we actually had green things coming out of of the ground though. Plucking stuff out of the freezer seems like it's always been...