What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Happy Days

















 HAPPY  DAYS!  We had our first 'eating on the porch' dinner of 2020 a few nights ago.  It might have been chilly by the end, but oh SO worth it.  I love my porch.  I love EATING on the porch.  I love the mild weather that we have been having that has ALLOWED us to eat on the porch!  And I SO look forward to many, many more of those evenings on the porch in the future.   After a crummy winter, I am ready for the freshness that spring brings with it.  SO READY.

Our cow is dry and has been for quite some time- but Matt's brother John has a cow that freshened recently which means...WE HAVE RAW MILK again!  We buy it, of course, but at least I don't have to buy 8 gallons of milk in a grocery cart already filled with two children to the gaping stares of strangers...that is a definite perk.  And it comes with cream on top.  Because we all know how much I love cream.  ;-)  Particularly, the "ice" variety.  ha!

The other day I promised I would make stromboli for supper but I knew I didn't have enough ham.  I called down to the only business in the little town that I live in-a gas station. The kind of small town gas station that has old men open 'er up for coffee each morning at 6 am for 'coffee club'.  The kind that slices deli meat so you don't have to go ALL the way 'up town' and sells maple syrup from the farm down the road and a few frozen tubes of home-grown beef.  The kind with the whole back covered in potato chips and the corner covered in Amish romance and christian devotional books.  I called down for ham to be sliced for me and when I went to put it in the stromboli, I noticed the little note.  Small town livin' at its' finest.  That's community for you.

And SPEAKING of community...  the INTERNET.  For all its' woes, I appreciate so much the way the internet connects people and builds communities in a way that wouldn't be possible otherwise.  It makes neighbors of people states and countries away and friends of people who may never actually meet on this side of heaven.  It allows us the ability to extend the call to 'love thy neighbor' to so many more people!  Our little spheres of influence can be flung out far and wide, opening up a whole world to us. As much as the internet can be dangerous and/or harmful at times...oh, it can be so good too!

 I was reminded of this very powerful truth this week as packages started to arrive on my doorstep for the community baby shower!  I am OVERCOME!  You have NO idea how delighted we were/are as we open up these gifts, knowing that someone is going to feel so loved and cared for and prayed over who may be at a time when they really need to feel those things!

 Thank you, THANK you to you sweet and wonderful people!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have vivid memories of being sent to that very same store several decades ago (maybe more than several; no point counting, really) for the thing we had run out of while Mom was trying to get dinner on the table for her famished brood. Some things never change, and that's a good thing!
Another Rebecca

Full of Grace said...

Moses is such a cutie- I think it's funny though, I've got the girl who doesn't hardly have a serious bone in her body, and you've got the boy who definately leans on the strong serious type ;) Too Funny.. our little (not so little) opposite, black and white babies ;)