What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Brag Board

I am a proud Mama and have to gush a bit. All these "firsts" for Corynn are "firsts" for me in a way too! This past week has been full of learning for Corynn. She has tripled her vocabulary in just a few days! She is an ambitious little one! She asks all the time, "What's this?" and when I tell her-she tries to say it back. She is really very good at repeating sounds! Some children say words that are only a little bit similar to the original word-but everyone knows what they mean. Corynn hits the nail right on the head most times...Some of the words she says perfectly are No (yikes!), Don't (double yikes!), shoe, stars, door, pretty, turtle, toe, sock, eye, nose, and hair. She has even begun to say Thank you and please (which was an accomplishment since I taught her those signs...every time I would say "Say thank you" she would give me the sign and not the word.)
This week she has actually started calling me Mama (she hadn't called me by my name until now!) and she calls herself "Wyn". Here is the most exciting thing though. Last night we were singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and looking out at the window to see the stars. I told her about them. I taught her! I know I have taught her many things already-but this was the first "catechism" of sorts. Now, when asked where the stars are, she will say "Stars!" and point up to the heavens. When asked "Who made the stars?" She will say, "God!" and then clap. For all that hard work, she expects to hear Twinkle Twinkle sung to her-but, isn't it just amazing!?!?! I am just so happy with her! She is really growing up!
At the hospital, everyone was so amazed at how intent she was with the baby, how much she loved him already. I let her hold him and she was gentle...she started rocking him and singing! She looked right at his face and just LOOKED at him. It was like she was a little mother. Every where little Samuel went, Corynn was sure to follow. I didn't think she would get the idea-but boy was I wrong. When I took the baby away from her, she threw a fit and couldn't understand why she couldn't just hold him forever! When we left she gave him a kiss (without any coaxing!) and said "Bye Doll!" (I have since taught her to say Samuel".)
Anyway-that is my bragging moment.

1 comment:

Abigail said...

It is exciting, and a bit bittersweet, too, isn't it, to see her learn and grow and get big. I know how long you've been waiting for that "Mama!" She only delayed so that it would sound all the sweeter when she started to speak it. :)