What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, June 12, 2006

Monday, Monday….da da da da da DA!



We have a new member of the FAMILY! Little pupper dog cutie pie. Nate and Julie brought our wee little ‘dawg’ to us and how sweet she is!!! In my excitement, I forgot that puppies actually have ENERGY, need to be potty-trained, and require lots of things to chew. I am now dealing with THREE poop machines, getting my toes bit off, and the occasional screech from Corynn as the puppy attacks her. But I am loving it (except the poo part...naturally!) We have never had a DOG before because DOGS require stability (which we really never had before either…) This dog shows us and the world that we are ‘settled’. The typical American family. A mom, dad, boy, girl and a dog. Just wait until we add a few more kids to the mix…then we will become more freakish than the two-mom families out there. (Wow-boy did I bunny trail!!!)

Anyway-back to the puppy. She is a little lab that is black mostly but has a crown of shaded brown from ear to ear. She really is a cutie pie and even more importantly-she is a good listener. She knows the word ‘no’ (she hears it enough!) and she already knows how to fetch and bring a ball back. Of course, we can’t take credit for such tricks. Nate and Julie were working with her for a WEEK before we got her-and of course she got training at her ‘birth home’ too! She sticks around people like glue and follows me around EVERYWHERE! We decided to call her Dutch or ‘Dutchie’. Why? Not quite sure…

It was great fun visiting with Nate and Julie and playing catch-up. And they brought more presents! Some more tomato plants (Purple Cherokee-yes, they are actually purple!), some twin leaf (a shade-loving flowering plant), an English walnut (I think), and some bee balm. My herb garden is getting planted tomorrow and it is about time and will love the bee balm! They left on Sunday morning before church so the visit was short-but sweet!

Now, to prepare for this coming weekend! G & L are coming to visit for the entire weekend! Oh the kids will love it! And we will too, of course! They are bringing some lumber (from their sawmill) for the children’s swing set and for Dutchie’s coop. All of Matt’s wood projects are made from his dad’s lumber-much of which, Matt helped saw. Of course, he won’t be helping to saw as much now that we are long distance, so it won’t be as ‘easy’ to use it all. :-( No doubt, Gary will help Matt with one of those projects and Linda has already promised to help me dig up some lilies of the valley along the road to bring back to my place. I am not quite brave enough to do it myself. :-) Also, there is an Agri-development Farm show going on this weekend that we are probably going to go to. Fun for the whole family!

I started unpacking some of my craft boxes this week and found things I had forgotten I had! I SO look forward to having my craft room done so I can FOCUS on these fun projects! Some of the half-done projects I uncovered were

A pillowcase doll:
I have a beautiful pillowcase doll that I started embroidering when I was probably about 15 years old that was put away and not brought back out. I must say, I did a GREAT job for my first embroidery attempt and as a kid-it looks great now! And I will keep the pattern to use on OTHER pillowcases I embroider too.

A shell counted cross stitch: It was originally a kit to make framed art with four individual boxes of different stitched shells. Unfortunately, I was only half done when I lost the pattern but I didn’t want to toss ALL the work of the two completed squares. I never knew what to do with it so I just SAVED it. As I unpacked it though, it occurred to me! I will cut the two completed squares and stitch them onto handtowels! Perfect!

Some schnerenschnitte: intricately cut paper that needs to be framed.

A cross-stitch and embroidery pattern for an old barn: It is REALLY neat because the picture is printed in it’s entirety but you only stitch certain areas to create depth and highlighting.

Some pressed flowers: I will decorate wall hangings and candles with the flowers I pressed last year.

Two knit scarves: that might have to wait for fall and winter! :-)

Of course-this on top of scrapbooking ALL of Peanut’s baby pictures (and those are NOT a few!), making a few dresses for Corynn for the summer, making each of the children blankets, and making coordinated outfits for Christmas from a fabric I got at clearance last year! LOTS of goodies to do. Of course, I am not putting time limits on them-with garden tasks and canning, visitors, and everything else. Who knows WHAT I will get done or HOW MUCH, by this fall, and I am not going to stress myself out about it either. After all, hobbies are SUPPOSED to be FUN and NOT stressful! What doesn’t get done by fall will be loads of fun to work on this winter.

Matt took the digi to work with him, so I will post pictures of the Dutchess tonight or tomorrow! Have a greeeeeat day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

RYC: A few years ago Rich was making 11 bucks an hour working at the bank. We had two kids then with one on the way. We didn't want for anything but we also didn't have any money for big things like a remodel either. In March 2003 he was called to active duty with the Navy and ended up being on active duty for two years. Now he'd been in the Navy for 18 years or so at that point so he made a pretty good pay check those two years thankfully. He also got things like a family seperation allowance, food allowance, etc... bc he lived away from us and in the barracks, blah blah blah. So while he was away I gave birth to Sam bringing us to three kids. We didn't have any major debts so we were able to squirrel away every dime we could into savings. By the time he came home after those two years we had in excess of 20K in savings. For 8 months after he came home he didn't have a job. He started doing college online at UMUC (University of Maryland University College) through his GI Bill. The government basically pays for his school because of the time he has served in the military. He gets so much a month toward his tuition, books, living expenses, etc... So we aren't so much paying "out of pocket" for him to go to school. It's one of the perks of being a military family.
Finally in September last year he was totally blessed with a VERY WELL paying job as a contractor for FEMA with Lockheed Martin. He makes a base salary which is very good and then on top of it he gets a very high hourly rate for any time past 40 hours. During hurricane season they worked 84 hours a week and he would be bring home close to 10K a month. We were able to get a home equity line of credit to start on the remodeling projects and access that money as needed in stages.

These things in conjunction with the fact that I shop yard sales, thrift stores, will take anything anyone has that I can use, etc... is what has allowed us to do the things you asked about.

Some specific things I do.......wait till midseason and when Sears and Penneys has tons of clearance on kids clothes they will around the 4th of July do a big sale of "take an extra 30 or 40 percent off the lowest ticketed price". I pretty much can know what size the boys and Lizzie will be wearing the next year and I go and buy their summer (or winter) clothes for the next year. I also buy their clothes at yard sales. I am very picky in general so I only buy what's really nice but you would be shocked at the stuff you can find. I also never ever turn down hand me downs. I may only keep one or two things out of before passing it along BUT I surely don't want to miss out on the hand me downs either. I just pass along whatever we can't use.

On food...I stock up on meat when it's on sale at the market down the road from me. They have some of the best quality meat around and when they run one of their fabulous meat sales I fill my freezer as much as I possibly can afford at the time. I also shop at the bent and dent in Bedford, PA and at the Mennonite Country store in Bedford (Cessna really) for my flours, etc...They are way more inexpensive than most grocery stores around here and the one in /Cessna has a good bit of fresh produce, etc... as well.

As far as decorating goes...yard sales, again not turning down someone who offers me something, using what other people don't want, etc... My entire room so far...I have spent under 50 dollars on and that was for the quilt and for that mirror over the dresser. I probably won't spent much more either (well beyond the carpet and paint but I am not counting those things in that price). I do need to order the curtains I want from Penneys but I will wait till they go on sale for half their regular price as they do every so often and then I will order them and hopefully combine it with a free shipping coupon! :)

In my room....the headboard was made from my crib, the bedding other than the quilt was what Rich's aunt Kitty offered me when we were in NC, the Waterford Crystal cross was a gift from a friend of Rich's one year on our anniversary. The lamp on my nightstand was Rich's grandparents, and the tart burner was a mothers day gift from Rich and the kids. The actual "nightstand" is an antique child's school deak that folds down which belonged to my great great aunt. My grandma was cleaning stuff out of the garage after my Pap died and gave it to me bc I admired it. My quilt rack was from the crib and all the quilts on it were from my great grandma. The nightstand on the other side of the bed was a plant stand Rich had when we were married. The big potted plant came from my Pappy. The small chair goes with the desk. The embroidered vintage table runner was bought in a bunch of them at a yard sale last month for a buck. The dressers in the room were Rich's when he was a kid and I've just repainted them. We will buy new hardware (drawer pulls) for them but I can buy them for under 50 cents each usually for really pretty ones at a place we have here called Surplus City. The dish garden on my dresser was from my Pap's funeral, my wedding pic was well...my wedding pic... and the Home Interior votive cups were from a shower gift when we got married! :)

I did buy the mirror this weekend for ten bucks bc I needed a mirror for the room and I thought it was a good price. The little metal plant stand was something my mom had at her house that she didn't want anymore so I stagged it up (she had gotten it at a neighbors yard sale for a buck or so).

There is a chair in the corner that I have not taken a pic of yet but it was my step dad's moms chair and I love the lines of it but hate the itchy ugly fabric. For now I threw a quilt over it and when Rich's aunt comes up I am hoping she will teach me to recover it. I am going to have her look in Charlotte for some fabric on the bargain table to do the chair with. She is able to find FABULOUS fabrics on the clearance table at Walmart where she lives. I will take pics of that area of the room when I work on it more tonight.

I am also getting a bookshelf for the room that is part of the set from my antique child's desk.

The key to decorating on the cheap I think is to look at things in unique ways and be creative with them. Yard sales are great to find stuff. Just mention to someone you are looking for stuff and you might be amazed at what people offer you.

Above all else PRAY. Ask the Lord to provide you with things for decorating your home. He cares about every small detail of our lives.

I LOVE to try to come up with unique and unusual ways to use things.

I would be happy to answer any other questions or chat with you about this anytime. You have my email but if you don't it's mom2lizandnate at atlanticbb dot net. Obviously don't write (at) and (dot) but I don't want a bunch of spammers.


Blessings,
Jennifer

betsy said...

Your projects sound fun and creative. How are you making the pillowcase doll? (I am always looking for something new that my girls might be able to do). I love scrapbooking too, but alas I am way more behind on it than a few months...someday I'll catch up. ;)