What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

in harmony



Previous baptisms have included all our families~aunts and uncles, grandparents, and my Oma and Opa.

It would be irresponsible to ask my Opa to drive down (With Alzheimers, for the good of himself and others on the road, he should have been out of the drivers seat long before this...) and so, for the first time, they were not present. That was a very difficult adjustment for me to make. I felt the void they left behind.



Not only that, but circumstances prevented other family members from attending too. Aunts and Uncles, and even nearly my Mom and Dad.

Matt feels strongly that there is no good reason to postpone baptism and I tend to agree, wholeheartedly. This time, however, it was difficult for me to stand my ground, wanting very badly to postpone it a week so more could share in the day. But Matt was right: what's the difference of postponing a baptism one week versus one month all so that more guests could attend? Baptism, he said, is not ABOUT the guests...it's about Adele. So, he held firm-and I mostly moped.



That is why it was even more meaningful to see my Mother's face on Sunday morning. She had left her brood (minus two) with my Dad, who was unable to come and made the trek all by her lonesome. To a church she had never been to before. To a service that is nearly twice as long as her own. With two children in tow.

As we sat praising God with song, just two chairs away from one another, our voices rang out, the smoke of song sacrifice, wafting and dancing toward the heavens in harmony and I realized how very much it meant to me to be hearing her voice beside me. How very much her presence meant to me. I am forever grateful that you came, Mom, and that you shared in our Adele's special day at a time when I needed it most.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Andie said...

That is so special that your mom was able to be there on Adale's special day...a special day for you all! You do have a beautiful family!! And the baptismal gown is lovely! My mom made a gown while I was pg with Abbigail and I have embroidered their names and baptismal dates around the hem. Each of my children have worn the same gown (even Andrew! :o)) and I pray that each of them will use it for their own children. There are layers on the gown and I can embroider my GRANDCHILDREN's names on the second layer...How wonderful would that be??? :o)

Blessings-Andie

Full of Grace said...

I am so very grateful mom could come and be a part of Adele's special day!!! How WOnderful :)

Abigail said...

I'm glad some family could make it, at least!

(My word verification is "trainfu." It's similar to kung fu, only you wield trains instead of the might of your limbs alone.)