What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, July 09, 2012

Berries, Books and Bedtime

 

Ever have those days where you look around and see all that you have to do and there is so much that instead of jumping in,  you find the nearest couch and take a nap?  That has been me.

For basically, the last month.

I know I am accomplishing things-even BIG things-but I just can't think right now what they are.

I think it must be the crazy heat or something.  The sun comes out and the house melts into a puddle for the day, and I with it.  The children seem to do pretty well with it, if they are half naked and eating freeze pops.

My mom will be appalled when she sees Judah in only a diaper.  (It was first thing in the am, I promise!)

 One thing we've been working on (though we aren't quite to the past tense "accomplished"  bit yet) is a top-secret, Parent-made present for the chillins.  They will pretty much love us forever.  Matt is basically the brains and the brawn of the project, but I was the one who dreamed it up AND, I've been doing my fair share of the work...even when it means swallowing my fear of climbing into the heavens.  Yes, I have been brave.  AND, I've used an air-gun.  (So don't mess with me.)

whooooo boy, the man has sexy arms. 

 
we are using hand hewn beams from the middle barn for our project

I am currently reading a few really great books right now-and it is a very hard choice which one to pick up when I have a moment to read.  Womanly Dominion, The Underground History of American Education and Common Sense 101--and now you understand my predicament.  My strategy is (until I find a better one) to leave them scattered in the different most-frequented rooms and whichever room I am in when that rare quiet moment allows, is the book I will read. 

A little chipmunk I found in the woods and brought home for a pet.

I have officially begun "putting food by", though I missed my usual, yearly entrance into the preserving season when I never went strawberry picking this year.  No strawberries for us this winter.  This year, the start of the season was broccoli-what gorgeous, prolific broccoli too!  (I froze it.)  I have officially begun the "Put 'Em Up List" on the sidebar in case you are interesting.  I'll be adding to it the more I put food by.

These are second and third cuttings.
pre-picking.  Judah didn't help at all, the BUM.


A "Lake Meal"
 The children and I went huckleberry picking last week.  I tempted them to work hard with the lure of fresh lemonade, a "lake lunch" as Corynn calls it (which is just pasta salad) and a bit of swimming on the hottest day of the week...IF they contributed a fair amount of berries.  We wound up with a bit more than 7 pounds of berries and filled more than a 5 quart container by the time all was said and done.  I think we will go once more this week, before the chance is lost.  After all, I haven't yet made huckleberry pie.

 

I sat and made a list of things I needed to do today-and I won't tell you how long it was...and blogging was NOT on it.  But niether was gathering 36 escaped chickens and spending an hour fixing fence and repairing a lose board.  So there it is.  Nevertheless, I better get back to that list so I can have SOMETHING to cross off tonight.  But before I do- what are you all making for supper tonight?  I need some inspiration...

 

11 comments:

Tracy said...

Mock Crab cakes. Baked sweet potatoes.

I know exactly what you mean by taking a nap when so much needs done. I often take that route, too. I think it's a coping mechanism. ;-)

Can't wait to see the children's surprise. I think it's a clubhouse of sorts.

Tracy said...

OR, a swingset!

stephaniegiese said...

I think you should just add blogging and fixing the chicken fence to your list so you can cross them off and feel accomplished. Not that I do that or anything. ;)

Shanzanne said...

Lemon Garlic Marinated grilled chicken, fruit salad, chef salad, ramen-slaw. With Raspberry Lemonade and Strawberry Shortcake. For Grandpa's Birthday.

Unknown said...

sausage, veggies, a bit of oil, s&p, garlic over pasta... :)

Lovely post! :)

Bonnie said...

I'm with Stephanie : )
The JB here is often sans shirt and pants, and only diapered. It's easier, and he LOVES to show us his "muscles". (Which involves spreading his legs till he's nearly falling over, and yelling "Hey!" until someone looks at him.)
Chipmunks like the one you found would be most welcome here.

Napping for the last month hmm? Yes, I know your "methods" (which caused much chuckling by the way), but eventually....

I should just stop talking and go write a letter, which may end up typed (ugh, doesn't qualify as real in my opinion) because my fingers are swollen and I have a bit of pregnancy related carpel tunnel. Grr.

We're having reduced for quick sale pork roast, potatoes, and oven roasted green beans, which next week will hopefully be from our garden, and not the grocery store.
Started my "Put 'Em Up List" too. Needs up-dateing.

Bonnie said...

Amy, I'm coming for dinner. I'll be there, um by Wednesday?

Terri said...

Garlic & thyme pork loin with potatoes & carrots, homemade biscuits, peas from the garden.

Rebecca said...

oh boy...you ladies are making me salivate.

And now I feel like a total loser for not giving my family feasts every night.

Unknown said...

Best use of duct tape- EVER! :D

MameyJane said...

Aaahh...nothing like fresh, home-grown broccoli. Drooling.