What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Friday, January 03, 2014

Finances on Friday

I missed last week's FF post and I very nearly skipped this one too, because the 12 Days of Christmas are still in full swing around these parts and my blogging minutes are being used up there, but I just couldn't do it....I couldn't skip this week.  It just felt wrong.  :-)

But first:  CONFESSION.

Last Financial Friday post (two weeks ago), I wrote I had made a baby doll carrier.  I had intended to do that right after posting- and then life happened, and then happened some more...and while I had intended to finish the project that very day...it got to the point where I have not yet even BEGUN the project.  Just had to tell you that.  Feeling guilty I led you all astray.  ;-)  

Here are some financial efforts for the last two weeks':

~ I never did my major shopping trip last week, though I was due for the monthly trip.  With the whole month of December AND the holidays AND the food gifting I did on groceries I bought the last week in November,  we are REALLY running low on stuff.  I feel kinda like this:


Wheat berries, anyone? 

I hope to go out on Saturday.  (Hope to.) If not, I've got this great wheat berry salad recipe...

~ After Christmas, I went out to check out the after-Christmas sales.  I stocked up on scotch tape rolls and three rolls of wrapping paper (I chose colorful stripes so it can be used all year long instead of just at Christmas) for 75% off.   I also got wintery napkins and paper plates for a .83 cents each which I will use for a ladies craft night I will be hosting later this month.  


~ I splurged and got a 3-tier serving plate that happened to match a cake display bought at after-Christmas clearance LAST YEAR (which I use all year long, every single week to store cookies, scones, muffins, etc.)  It, too, was 75% off.

~ I finished all the handmade gifts using all supplies I had on hand.  (More on that later.)

~ On the way home from our trip to see Opa, it was very late and the three children and I hadn't had dinner yet.  We weren't starving, but I knew we would be by morning if we didn't eat anything.  I didn't want to stop and get fast food so we went into Wegmans and got bananas and cheesesticks instead.  $3.50 later all four of us were satisfied and filled with healthy food.  

~ I went to the consignment shop where I put clothes on consignment and found two dresses that I have been admiring for quite some time in the 50% off holiday clothes section.  I bought them using the money they already owed me. (Plus, they gave me the extra $5.00 they owed me).  I walked out with two dresses and a five dollar bill....a nice trip!  ;-)  One will be a lovely spring dress (Easter, too?) for Adele'. 
 ~ I saved all the gift bags and ribbons from Christmas presents to use again.

~ I used up leftover collards and artichokes from Christmas Eve to make a vegetable casserole one night this week.  With the casserole, we had ham and mashed potatoes.  The next night, I threw what was left of the veggie casserole, mashed potatoes, and ham into a stock pot...added more ham, more collards and more potato chunks in- and heavy cream (from the holidays) and made one of the most delicious soups we have had in quite some time.  And now, besides quite a bit more ham to use up from the Christmas ham we were given, we have no leftovers in the fridge, waiting to go bad.  I'll be using ham on our pizza tonight and then freezing the rest.

~ I will boil the ham bone for broth, which I will freeze.  And Ruby will get the bone after that.  Not that she has been short on bones lately...


~ Gave mailman and garbage-man cookies for Christmas as well as six different neighbors.

~ I listened to more Hillsdale College Free Market Forums (specifically this, and this and this) while deep cleaning my bedroom, the girls' room and the office this week.  A free education.  ;-)

~ I used a lamp we already had to replace the one that recently broke in the girls' room.  They have light, once again!

~ fed chicken scraps

That's about all I can think of... Matt and I never had our budget meeting last week.  I hope to do that this weekend.  Then, next Friday, I'll share with you some of our financial goals for this new year! 

6 comments:

Bonnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bonnie said...

"Ruby got a dinosaur!" hahahaha! I save gift bags, ribbons, and (ahem) tissue paper. I iron it and if it's still wrinkly, use it for tracing off sewing patterns.
Grocery shopping today, roast in crock-pot to save the "argh! I get home so late lets just pick something up" bit. Woo-hoo for me.
Can't wait to see those gifts...
Oh, and even though I haven't done it yet, you've inspired me to go through my garage sale pile and pull out the better stuff to see what I can consign/sell. In my dreams, I'm making enough to put in a paver stone patio. In reality I might make back the gas money.

BajaManna said...

Bonnie, what a brilliant idea, to use old tissue paper for sewing patterns! I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out how to get large sheets of thin enough paper - thanks!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the no food, just ingredients in the cabinets, but settling down to make my meal plan and list this a.m., then off to the store. I also bought some clearanced Christmas paper that can be used for birthdays. Another good after-Christmas sale item is holiday M&M's and Hershey kisses. I separate the red from the green, freeze, and then use them for Valentine and St. Patrick's Day treats. Michelle in TN

Bonnie said...

Anna-Yes it works wonderfully! It's cheep to buy too if I don't have any on hand, and I just tape a couple of pieces together for larger patterns.

Leah T. said...

I loved all your efforts to save but I want to know more about the ladies craft night!!! I've been dying to get together with other people to do crafty things. Sigh. LOL