What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Friday, June 20, 2014

Busy Bee





Well, I am happy to report that everything I hoped to accomplish this week really WAS accomplished- and right on schedule!

Everything I had to get into the garden was put in the garden- including a great scattering of pumpkin and sunflower seeds!  Only one small 'bed' within the hay garden is left untouched because I planted everything I wanted to and still had it left.  Not sure what to put into that spot- but something must go in.  And a few rows for later plantings of lettuce and spinach.  I'll show it to you soon, not that there is much to see at this point.  Just a wish and a prayer, really.

Last night I put all the seats down in the van and began loading up yard sale stuff when a pencil impaled my foot between my second and third toe.  This is why you should not be like me and go barefoot all the time.  It was very surreal when I pulled out the pencil and saw a perfect hole going deep into my flesh.  I just stared at it in disbelief for a moment and then I went hobbling into the living room to Matt saying "You won't BELIEVE what I just did to my foot!  You won't BELIEVE what just happened!"  I think it was me letting out the shock of seeing something one should never see (a third of an inch INSIDE your flesh!) without totally freaking out. It didn't hurt for a minute and then...wow.  It hit.   The thought of stitches flashed for a nano-second, and then a flash of "Let me just super glue it!" and then I came to my senses and disinfected the wound, wrapped it in gauze with triple antibiotic ointment and called it good.  

Today I took a van full of yard sale stuff to my parents' house, got back and made a big bowl of potato salad for our community 'field days' (You know you live in a small po-dunk town when you get a postcard in the mail saying "BRING POTATO SALAD for us to use at the chicken BBQ!") and drove it down and dropped it off while a double batch of chocolate chip cookie dough was chilling and two pecan pies were in the oven.  The cookies finished baking just in time for pizza making. And all this with me hobbling along with the distinct, awkward step of a wounded woman.

 I am hoping to sell a few baked goods and maybe some canned things, along with all my other 'junk' tomorrow.  We'll see.  If no goodies sell, why then, I will have a very happy husband and children to come home to.

 But I am really hoping for a tidy sum in my pocket as well.  ;-)

6 comments:

Miranda Hupp said...

Ouch! I stepped on a toothpick and it went about as far into my foot. I couldn't believe how bad it hurt. It ended up getting infected even though I cleaned it really good. I also go barefoot all the time!

Julian said...

Ouch is right! !! Good luck with the garage sale. My boys decided to sell their junk this morning. I hope this stuff won't come back inside... lol
have a good weekend ! Christina

Todd said...

You always have a camera in your hand but no pictures of the pencil on your foot?

stephaniegiese said...

My sister once did the same thing with a roofing nail as a child. If it makes you feel any better, the doctor at the Emergency Room told my mom it was better that she was barefoot. Apparently it is worse f you are wearing sneakers because of all the muck they step in every day and the chemicals in the rubber, which can get into the wound. Who knew? I'm so sorry you are hurt, though. That is terrible!

terricheney said...

I for one am deeply grateful there was no photo of injury! I am a nurse's daughter, wife of a paramedic and do not handle trauma well, lol.

Gorgeous dewy morning photos. Ours are not nearly so, not even at 6am, but it is much milder than it's been in years past so no complaints.

Praying all is well with the foot, and for bookoodles of money from yard sale.

Might I suggest a scattering of flower seeds in the unused garden spot? Just for fun, you know.

Anonymous said...

Eager for an update on your foot and how the sale went! Your blog is my absolute favorite.