What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Life (and Liberty for All)



A bit more Pirate Crafting, this time for a birthday gift.

A pirate boy for a pirate nephew
who can turn into a normal blue-eyed, blonde haired boy on a whim.  




Our cherry tree was very considerate this year...providing a SINGLE CHERRY for each person in this house.  Still waiting for that explosive harvest.  Will it ever come?  


peppermint sun tea

Some handmade honeysuckle calendula soap.  If you call melting glycerin soap base that was on sale for $2.00 and pouring it into a mold "handmade".  

a very patriotic picture


"Why is it that, next to the birthday of the Savior of the World, our most joyous and most venerated festival returns on this day, the 4th of July? Is it not that, in the chain of human events, the birthday of the nation is indissolubley linked with the birthday of the Savior? That it forms a leading event in the progress of the Gospel dispensation? Is it not that the Declaration of Independence first organized our nation's social compact on the foundation of the Redeemer’s mission upon earth? That it laid the cornerstone of human government and freedom sirmly and surely upon the first precepts of Christianity?"

So says John Quincy Adams, on July 4th 1867-the 61st anniversary of the Declaration of Independence.

Can you imagine a President saying such words today?  But he should.


I got this outstanding video from Heirloom Audio Productions in my inbox the other day after I bought some Adventures of G.A.Henty audiodramas from them for future Christmas gifts.  (shhhh!  Don't tell!)  They have productions like With Lee in Virginia, In the Reign of Terror, The Dragon and the Raven, Beric the Briton, In Freedom's Cause (the Story of Wallace and Bruce), The Cat of Bubastes... they have truly extraordinary stories, talented (and celebrity) actors and are very well done.  

I love them for rest times and long car rides.  And I have been known to let children listen to them while working on beets or snapping beans or shoving tomatoes into jars and it makes enjoyable work out of could-be tedium.  Let me tell you.  Please do check them out- I know you'll love them as much as we do.  You couldn't not.  (How's that for a double negative?!?)    

(And no- I don't get any sort of compensation for this plug.  I just like them, that's all.)

Anyway.  I watched the video because I like them.  And then I found out that Facebook banned the video as Facebook so often does with matters of real value and truth.  (One more reason I loathe Facebook.  Or Fake Nook.  A better title, if you ask me.)

Well, I have a bit of a rebel streak so if a good video gets banned, well then.  I'll just talk about it all the more.  

Watching it is the best way to celebrate Independence Day if you ask me.  So...gather your children and grandkids or just sit down for 14 minutes and WATCH IT!

And let's start to think about Liberty in a proper light.



3 comments:

Rozy Lass said...

That quote from Adams is fabulous, thanks for sharing. Your pirate doll is simply adorable! As is your lovely Ineke.

Abigail said...

I love the doll! (And I'm talking about both the pirate and the frilly one all wreathed in ruffles looking darling on your porch.)

I have yet to make Cadence her birthday doll. I was going to do one in the same style as that pirate, only a girl...who's not a pirate. Did it take long? Please say you whipped it right up and that I could both start and finish it in an hour. I know this is not true, but someone needs to get me started, or she won't have a first birthday present until she's four years old.

Also, any soap that pretty totally counts.

Thanks for an enjoyable morning! Everyone except early bird John is still sleeping (gasp), so I was able to relax for a good, long while here. I don't know if I'm commenting on your older posts correctly, because they're moderated and I never know if they're eaten on their way to you, but if they are, know that I always enjoy the older posts, too! Your blog is a beautiful space.

Rebecca said...

Probably an hour for you...it wasn't bad at all. A couple hours for me- but I tend to be SLOW at crafting no matter what. It didn't help that I just fudged the pattern and made the arms and legs super long. Warning- don't make the arms and legs super long...it is really hard to squish them into the body cavern when they are almost twice the width of the body. And it didn't help that I was simultaneously working on parrot wings at the time...

Can't wait to see Cadence's dolly!