What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Hope You're Hungry...


Currently Reading:
Cooking From Quilt Country
Hearty Recipes from Amish and Mennonite Kitchens
By Marcia Adams

I am in LOVE! Anyone who knows me, knows my obsession with Amish cooking and this book is now on my 'WANT'-no- 'NEED' list. In two weeks I have found two real gems in the Amish cooking realm. THIS book, as if the food weren't enough, also includes photos of the Amish-don't ask me HOW they got those but it is a treasure-trove, nonetheless! I just made a list of some recipes for the next two weeks that I am going to try out and I am SO excited! Love it, love it, love it!

Speaking of food: I am MIGHTY impressed with all the recipes posted for the contest! Wow! I am SO excited to try them out-and you should be too! Sneak on over and check some of them out! Matt is going to have his hands full picking just one! I know I already have MY favorites! :-) The contest ends on Friday so make sure to get any recipes you might like to submit in by noon that day. You can post them (or steal some for your own house) here.

Today is BLUEBERRY DAY here at the Newman's. I have spent the last few days PREPARING for this big day. Three days ago, I sorted through all my berries, rinsed and froze them. Two days ago, I sought out all my recipes, made a plan and prepared my grocery lists and cupboard supplies. Yesterday we went grocery shopping and TODAY is the DAY that I spend in the kitchen getting my berried preserved! I will try to post some pictures (and recipes) in the next day or two. Here are some of the goodies I will be making:

~Spiced Blueberry Jam
~Blueberry Lime Jam
~Lemony Blueberry-Nectarine Jam
~Blueberry conserves
~Blueberry syrup


Tonight for supper I am making a some pork chops, onion patties (from ^), creamed peas and potatoes (from ^), and some sunset salad (from ^). It is about time I cooked a real meal...
AND to finish off the feast:
Blueberry cake with Streusel topping (from aforementioned cookbook!)

As I work in the kitchen today, I will drink my minted white grape juice (from ^ and my herb garden!) and listen to Michael Buble, my new favorite singer. I love jazzy music and his voice, similar to Harry Connick Jr., fits the bill.

Have a wonderful day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rebecca,
That book looks wonderful! BTW if you emailed me through xanga... I had the wrong email addy on my account (an old one). I can't wait to hear how all your new recipes turn out! I didn't get around to posting any recipes for your contest but will enjoy seeing which one he chooses! Have a great weekend! It's supposed to be hot again next week I think and I'm not looking forward to it. ~Jen