What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Friday, July 14, 2006

I lied....for the sake of science

Okay-I said that I wasn't going to post until Tuesday-but I DID say PROBABLY. But I just had to post a few pictures from what we did today. I am kicking myself now for only taking a few, but I didn't want to leave my friend stranded taking care of Andrew as I went picture happy. A lady from church invited me to go with her family to a HUGE arts festival. It was so much fun!

Most impressive was that right smack dab in the center of it all (that means in the center of nearly 100 tents!) was this huge tent with free-hands on activities for children of all ages. There had to have been twenty different stations-all TOTALLY ingenius, some of which included live animals (pigeons, rabbits, chinchillas and even a guinea pig grooming station!), homemade pipe piano, probability toss, sea creature table, sand table, photo prism lights, concave and convex mirrors, arcitecture table, gears that made a woodpecker peck, and the list goes On, and ON, and ON! The most amazing part?

THEY WERE ALL MADE BY SOMEONE I KNOW! How can that BE?!?!

WELL..................

Remember how I told you that nearly ALL the families in my church are homeschoolers? And that several of the mothers are actually BIGWIGS in the homeschooling movement? One even the author of curriculums? Well, said lady was the one behind this tent!

When I showed my astonishment at her creativity and ingenuity in creating these stations, she just shrugged and said- "It's my hobby. Some women crochet. I make chinchilla cages and probability tables." Wow. I am SO impressed. She says she has dreams of making a sort of science and discovery museum and zoo for children-and she CAN and most undoubtedly will. Such talent in that family.

I am kicking myself for not taking more pictures of her wonderful set-up (she only brought HALF of what she owns...and they all have permenant residence in her garage!)

anyway. I (WE) had such a delightful time and if it were just us, we might have spent several hours there instead of just about half of one. I just had to write about it and share the pitiful few pictures I was able to snap.

2 comments:

betsy said...

What a neat opportunity to stumble upon! I always say hands on learning is the best! How amazing that this one lady is able to take the time to create all these things...I know I would never have the time or brains (or patience for that matter). But God does bless us each with our own talents. What a great learning experience and what fun for the kids who were able to partake. There's is a children's museum near where we live and I know my kids just LOVE the hands-on stuff. I'm sure Corynn had a blast.

Rebecca said...

I LOVE to go to museums, aquariums, zoos, etc. but my HUSBAND doesn't like to spend extra money. Somehow, I have GOT to work on that...