What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Friday, August 25, 2006

Friday's Four

Matt is the biggest stinkpot. Yesterday was our anniversary-four years. I was tired. Truly, I didn't really care WHAT we did, if anything because I was just-tired. He came home. He told me I could go shopping by myself and he would take care of the kids. Foolish man-doesn't he know anniversaries are supposed to be TOGETHER???

Well, I tell him I have no interest in shopping by myself on my anniversary so he offers to make dinner and let me relax. The whole time I am thinking-this is all very fishy. He is acting funny. All week, he has told me to pump so Andrew could have milk without me. Then-he wasn't going to take me out? SURELY, he is GOING to take me out....

But then, he starts fixing a snack tray. Cheese and crackers. Peppers. Popcorn. It is looking less likely that he will be taking me out after all. Then-he said, HEY! Why don't we just have SNACK NIGHT?!?! At this point I am on the verge of being angry. Okay. So. First you are going to make me dinner. NOW-you are just going to make SNACKS?!?!? Is THAT all I am worth to you?!?!

The moment I RESIGNED myself to staying home and sucking it up was when I got out leftovers (I am not about to eat cheese and crackers alone, not when I have a delicious pork roast, potatoes, corny spoonbread and other yummies waiting for me in the fridge. He said he would make me a plate. Then he did. That's when I KNEW we were staying home. So-I turned on my favorite jazzy cd and started making myself a (MUCH NEEDED) strawberry daquiri. With homemade whipped cream. Making lemonade out of life's lemons. or TRYING.

But then-wait. Someone's at the door. Julia? Laura? What are you guys doing here?!? Oh-your the BABYSITTERS! That man! He is so insufferable! So mean! So sweet! I love him so. Four years later and many more ahead, Lord willing.

~~~~~~~~~

Today I am a BIT freaking out. Tomorrow is our picnic and basically-I have NOTHING planned. I don't know how many people will be coming or what they will do when they get here. I am REALLY slacking off here! I am SO ill prepared and SO unmotivated to get things done! I cleaned up the house yesterday-so the only cleaning things I have to do are to vacuum and to clean the bathroom. Oh-and about 10 loads of laundry. WELL-maybe that is an exaggeration. MAYBE.

I have to go grocery shopping tonight and move the patio around to accomodate food tables. then I have to make signs for parking, garbage, etc. THEN I have to make table centerpieces. Then I have to get out our tiki torch lanterns. Then I have to start preparing food! ARGH! Four o'clock tomorrow is approaching too quickly!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Following are some pictures from when the Drijfhout family visited us. There are only a few from the pool because my camera batteries suddenly died. The rest are from a very fun trip to the local candy factory. Amazing what you will learn about your area when you get brochures at the welcome center! I post them now because tomorrow I will taking a whole NEW slew of picnic photos. This blog is getting dangerously close to the photo limit!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As wonderful as blogs are, have you ever noticed there is a LIMIT for how personal posts can be? You can get 'deep'-but only on the surface. :-)

This blog touches only the surface of some of the things that are happening in our family. Others are too deep to express on a blog. That very general and vague sentence said, if you feel so led, please pray for our family. How? The Lord will know better than I. :-)

With this weekends picnic and all the work it brings-I will not be on until Monday-at the earliest. But when I DO get on-WATCH OUT for another flooding of photos! :-) Have a great weekend!

7 comments:

Christine said...

Hi Rebecca! Happy anniversary. Thank you for stopping by my blog. Your anniversary story is too funny. Blessings to you. You are in my prayers.

Leah said...

Rebecca,

Happy 4th Anniversary!!! I'm glad your evening ended up different than you at first thought! ;)

Can't wait to see how your picnic turns out! If I know you half as well as I think I do I'm sure it will turn out wonderfully!

It was so wonderful to see the Drijfhouts again! I was wondering if they'd get to see you, too! I'm so glad they did!

I will remember to lift up you and your family in prayer. Many hugs to you!

Carmichael Family said...

Happy anniversary Rebecca! Your story is really funny...at first as I was reading it I was afraid you really were going to end up staying home and eating popcorn! At my fourth wedding anniversary I had a 2-year-old and a baby too. :) I love the picture of you and Matt on your sidebar by the way. I hope your picnic goes well, and have a wonderful weekend!

Mandie said...

Happy Anniversary Newmans! 4 years- whooohooo!

Guess what- I'm latching onto your trend and I've begun a blog of my very own. Check out GieddFlock.blogspot.com!

Also, did you ever get our package a few weeks back?

Els said...

Dear Rebecca,
well, we menitoned your wedding when we visited on several occasions (you only need lincoln-logs..), but anyway, I hope the Lord will give you many happy and blessed years to follow!
Thank you so much for the lovely days we had at your place, we loved showing you around... As you understand we are safely back in England, but for another month will be without internetconnection (I'm now in the university library, not an ideal place to work on a blog), so Falko will have to do the blogs, but I was delighted to see your pictures of our visit!! Thanks!!
We're so glad to know where and how you live, and we will remember you in our prayers.
Love from Els

Pear tree cottage! said...

Hello Rebecca, How wonderful to be back at your blog today. I am still learning about getting around and Your lovely blog just popped right up at me again today so here I am :o)

Now arn't husbands the funny creatures that we love so much. I enjoyed the adventures of your evening out and it sounded just like many I have had over the years. sad for us both we both forgot our last one in May until about three days after and then we remembered at exactly the same moment and looked at each other and laughted.........
the photos ALL OF THEM! are just so nice and I will be back to see those taken after your picnic.

have fun..O! and yes that is me in the photo with the china behind me. I have other photos now on my blog so may see you over here.....but only after your picnic! of course lol lol lol
have a nice day.

Abigail said...

Happy fourth! And you say your husband doesn't surprise you...

That's the sneakiest surprise I've heard of yet, and the fact that he fixed a plate shows how determined Matt was to keep it that way!

As far as photo limits go, have you seen my blog lately?!? I think I've become the shining example of how not to conduct one's electronic self. So keep the snapshots comin'; I look forward to the flood.