A few favorite reads, despite the fact that picking just a few is as painful as pulling off my fingernails one by horrible one.
* Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling
* A Different Kind of Teacher by John Taylor Gatto
* For the Children's Sake: Foundations of Education for Home and School by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay
* Home Education by Charlotte Mason
* Little House in the Ozarks: A collection of rediscovered writings by Laura Ingalls Wilder
* Little Heathens: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression
Kildee House by Rutherford Montgomery
* The Terrestria Chronicles by Ed Dunlop (I would be remiss not to include Corynn's most favorite book series EVER. She adores these allegorical tales!)
* Understood Betsy by Dorothy Fisher
* Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations by Alex and Brett Harris (a must read for pre-teens/teenagers)
* Pilgrims Progress by John Bunyan
Swiss Family Robinson by Johann D. Wyss
For Encouraging Womanly Pursuits:
* My Life for Yours by Doug Wilson
* Home-making by J.R.Miller
* Christian Living in the Home by Jay Adams
* Keeping House: The Litany of Everyday Life by Margaret Kim Peterson
* The Duties of Parents by J.C.Ryle
For the Hobbyist:
* Embroidery Companion by Alicia Paulson
* FOXFIRE books (yes, all of them.)
* AUSTENtatious Crochet by Melissa Horozewski
* Back to Basics by Readers Digest
* Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health: 175 Teas, Tonics, Oils, Salves, Tinctures, and Other Natural Remedies for the Entire Family
These are just a very, very few of my favorites. It is sad to think of all the favorites I didn't write down.
Any favorites you'd like to share?
I'd love to add some new inspiration to my list of Must-Reads!