What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Thursday, February 21, 2013

{Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real}

I have to say, I am really enjoying this weekly challenge.  I think I can safely say I am hooked.

{Pretty}



  Valentine's Day usually comes and goes just like an ordinary day, except we eat pink and red foods (beet potatoes, anyone?!) and wear pink and red clothes and make silly little valentines for one another.  I don't often get any valentine's myself, even though I kinda sorta live for that sort of woo-ing.

I usually pretty much hate it when people show off amazing Valentine gifts on their blogs~ my color turns green, the monster Jealousy can't be tamed and my spirit isn't too lovely to look at either.  "Show off!" I mutter.  "Stinkin'....stinkin'!" Grumble, Grumble.  It isn't them- it is me, unsuccessfully squelching my discontent.

Well.  It just so happens I need a "pretty" picture for this whole Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real post and the only "pretty" pictures I have taken were of these orchids- so you are going to have to bear with me as I turn into one of those stinkin', stinkin' bloggers.  Take comfort in knowing things like this RARELY happen to me.  Or ANYONE, for that matter.  'Kay?

Matt brought me home the most beautiful (and large!) orchid ever and a wedge of gouda on Valentine's Day.  All I had asked for were some words scribbled out on a note, like the olden days...  so it was very unexpected.



I have an affinity for orchids.  

You'll probably be seeing more of this lovely in the future.  (Just so's you know)


{Happy}

  

 My mom passed this little vest down to me because it could still fit a certain little Bear.  It is handknit, so you know I love it.  It was one of the last things my Oma knit, so it is very, very special.  I wanted to get a picture of Judahbear in it before his big belly outgrew it.  (Well on its' way, as you can see.)



{Funny}
 

I looked up yesterday and what did I find?  A poor little frog on the ceiling.  I know not how he got there or how long he was stuck, but I do know he looked very unhappy indeed about being
there. 



 {Real}


Now you know.   

We are one of those crazy people that hang quilts in doorways to keep out the winter chill.  What is especially worrisome is when the quilts MOVE in the wind.

 (Never a nice feeling.)

round button chicken

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The orchid is bee-you-tee-ful! I'm glad you shared.

And your "real" picture is beautiful too! Too bad about the wind tho. :-( I have bath towels hanging in my daughter's window to keep out the light that creeps around the curtains. . . not nearly as photogenic.

Julian said...

So happy about your gift. How neat!;). Beautifully knit vest. My grandmothers have been gone a year almost. So beautiful to give their things new life. Love your blog. Keep warm!
christina

Miranda Hupp said...

I think I might jump on the bandwagon! Love your weekly posts and beautiful pictures, as always.

Rebekah Es said...

Haha! We hung up a blanket in our vestibule all winter growing up, my dad called it "the scuz blanket." Yours isn't scuzzy at all, really lovely. Your little guy is filling out his vest with great pomp, I'm sure your Oma would be proud.

Anonymous said...

Your orchid and your dining room are beautiful! And if you have an affinity for keeping orchids in a drafty house, I am all the more impressed.

(I killed the only orchid I have ever had with over-love. It was very sad.)

Ulli said...

Love your weekly photo posts. Just wanted to say we lived in New England for several years. Many people there use window quilts to help keep the cold out during the winter months. They are either homemade or manufactured/special ordered to size. They work! Your colorful door quilt is prettier than any window quilt I've ever seen.

Hollace said...

I think the quilt in the door is the "funny" thing and the frog on the ceiling is the "real". But your table with the quilt background is beautiful and could also be the "pretty" thing. It is!

Crafty P said...

I have had similiar frogs on my ceiling, too, but I know how they got there ;-)

love your table setting.. didn't even notice the quilt till you said it!

ps I so dislike random comments like the one above on the blog, I hope it's not spam, the strange W's make me think it is.

blessings!