What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Labor Day

I took the holiday quite literally by going into labor TWICE on it.

10 years ago.
and
3 years ago.

Corynn turned double digits- a huge blow to me.
My baby turned three- another huge blow.  

And so....we celebrated.

First thing in the morning, the chickens laid eggs with clues inside which led to a scavenger hunt which eventually, led to a gift.  (This is what parents do with presents that are too awkwardly shaped to wrap.  Works like a charm.)

I'd show you pictures of Corynn on her hunt but the girl was too fast for me.  

Judah, on the other hand, fumbled a bit with his big chubby hands unfolding tiny bits of paper.  


Tell me...is that not the cutest thing?


TO THE MAILBOX!



TO THE CORN!


And eventually- to the trampoline where he happily bounced along with his new ball.


We had gone to Target a day or two before and Corynn saw a picture in the kitchen aisle of face pancakes.  It took less than 30 seconds for her to decide that is what she wanted for her birthday dinner.



I am thinking this will be the last year before Judah realizes that he hasn't gotten a choice for birthday dinner.  Even still, I am not sure there would have been complaints.  Whipped cream: the eternal peace keeper.



Everyone made faces except ONE person who shall remain nameless.



Corynn let me "surprise" her with her cake decorations.  I was in a hurry.  I had no plan.  I had two hours before cake time.  So I did this:



Judah, too, was a last minute jobby.  His was decorated ICE CREAM.


Can you guess just where I found my inspiration?



Fair warning:  if you decorate a cake and then can grape juice all afternoon- this is what will happen: 


(Corynn actually thought it was quite beautiful that way and asked just HOW I happened to make such beautiful flowy icing. That worked well.)





Corynn got a bag full of books from book sales that I have been gathering.


Judah got a bookbag with a digger book and a few mini construction worker tractor thingies.

Andrew was CRAZY jealous.

I made it through the day crying only...oh....five or ten times.  Children are such a gift.

10 comments:

Full of Grace said...

Your impromptu cake "jobbies" turned out amazing! :) It looks like such a great time, and btw, I loved the scavenger hunt idea, I may have to borrow that for future bday celebrations on occasion! :) Birthdays are a wonderful time, but also a sappy reflection time for us mamas..Must run in the family ;)

Leah T. said...

I was nearly in tears just reading this precious post. Many hugs from me to you. (I love the scavenger hunt idea, too!)

BajaManna said...

Every post of yours makes me wish that I could "do over" the time that my kids were young, not because I think I could have done it better, but because it was such a magical season of life, especiallly lived in the country.

Bobbi said...

She is such a beautiful young woman!!!! I can't believe how old they are getting! Eek that means my oldest turns 3 right behind Judah! (I just had a 3rd by the way)
Beautiful celebrations!! God is so abundant!
-Bobbi (in Cleveland) I have not commented in ages but I still faithfully read here! You are so inspiring!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful! You're family is beautiful.

Jaya Pratheesh said...

thank you thank you so much for that glimpse into grace. wish long and happy lives for both your birthday babies. stay blessed, rebecca!

Kimberly said...

Hey there,

I am 22 and have been married to my wonderful husband for 4 years now...Reading your post makes me want to start our little family so BAD!! You and your family give me such joy. Reading these post give me inspiration and happiness! Thank you! Gob bless(but I can see he already has)

beth said...

ditto what Anonymous said. big ditto on that.

Mari said...

I was born on my sister's 10th birthday so you can always do what my mother did. She told each of us that the other one wanted spaghetti for dinner so that is what we always had. I don't know what my sister would have chosen but I always wanted fried shrimp.

If you think the 10th birthday is difficult, try the 18th AND having your daughter at a university that is a 9 hour drive away. I went through that yesterday.

Abigail said...

I love Corynn's cake! It is elegant and perfect for a momentous birthday. Where's her bike?!

Also, I burst out laughing when I read the "someone who shall remain nameless" part. You're right! Completely misleading and very, very funny. (He is SUCH a killjoy!)