What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Friday, January 20, 2006

Bellyaching, Books, Bottling and Blocks...

Currently Reading: Tasha Tudor’s Heirloom Crafts by Tovah Martin and photography by RichardBrown.

Bellyaching:
I am not feeling too well these days. My upper left wisdom tooth is on it’s way out, and is wrecking havoc on my mouth in the process. Pain is radiating from the tooth area down to my tongue and to the bottom of my jaw also. It hurts to open my mouth up more than a crack-and eating. Well. Eating is a chore. On the bright side is the fact that I can unapologetically make myself fruit smoothies (fruit, milk, vanilla, ice cubes, etc.) and I even got a tiny thing of sherbert. ‘Cold’ and ‘Hot’ seem to make it feel better, at least while the cold or hot things are in my mouth.

I have also noticed that my body is giving out on me more this pregnancy. I have dealt with several pulled muscles, leg cramps and spasms and for the past few weeks lower back/right side hip pain has convinced me to shy away from stairs and other unnecessary walking. Thankfully, though the sharp hip pains are terribly painful and debilitating, they come and go pretty quickly. I can have it for a day and then not get it again for a few days. I am not sure what it is that ails me-but it is making me feel like an old woman-and walk like one too! And yet-this afternoon, because my hip was bothering me, I was able to sit on the couch and read the above book without feeling the slightest bit of guilt for being lazy.

BOOKS:
I am really enjoying the book and the photographs. Yet, while I read, I am absolutely astonished at the constant vigor and all-consuming projects she willingly takes on each and every day. Because she enjoys it. I mean-WOW. She has a stamina in her ‘aged and frail’ state that I have NEVER had or probably will have. The book covers so many topics of interest to me-cooking, gardening, canning, cider making, soap and candle making, herbs, dried flowers, flax, wool, dying, weaving, linen, basketry, woodworking, pottery, quilting, sewing., lace-making, toys, dollhouses and the list goes on! She makes linen from flax, sheers sheep for wool-then dyes it, spins it, and uses it to make beautiful things. Cuts trees to get the wood soaking for basketry. Interestingly, there is no topic on watercolors (as you may know, she is a children’s author and illustrator) which was her ‘profession’. The photography is beautiful, too. I am always delighted to find and read books that cover the vast spectrum of duties people once had, the thriftiness and great ability to make use of every piece of everything that they did, and the value in all their work.. (A great children’s story that is very much that way is The Ox-Cart Man, one of my very favorite books. It was introduced to me when Linda brought out the children’s books she had and there it was-signed ‘For Matt Love Grandma and Grandpa. 1981’)

Corynn has a book by Tasha Tudor called A TIME TO KEEP. In it, each month is given proper due as she reminisces the activities she would do as a child within each month. In January, she writes of “January sixth-that’s twelfth night-the children took out the four goat sleighs and had races. It was great fun. There was a prize for the winner. In the evening everyone dressed up and played charades.
My personal favorite though, would probably have to be…June. “Midsummer’s Eve comes in June. That’s when we had a marionette show. There were many, many rehearsals-marionettes to make, scenery to paint, and programs to print and color. The play was at night in the carriage shed. Grandmothers got the very best balcony seats
Refreshments were served at the intermission and everyone had a wonderful time.” Now-who ever heard of such a thing today? I remember going all out with things like that as a child, but forgive me for the pointed opinion-but it seems most children today don’t even know how to entertain themselves, let alone a large gathering of people! And the artistry of many of today’s kids lacks tremendously in patience and vision. Well worth mentioning, however, is T.T’s portrayal of August and the coming of her mother’s birthday. A magical time where they had a party in the woods and floated the birthday cake down the river. Can you imagine floating a birthday cake down a river? What a lovely idea! Of course, if I were to do that today-the only ‘river’ Candor holds is the ‘River Dumb’.

Bottling:
Last night, Dave came over and helped Matt bottle up the cider. While Dave was the ‘pourer’ and Matt was the ‘capper’, I was just the ‘bottle-handler over’ and of course-photo historian’. I was glad they let me do something though. I love to be around when Matt is working on his projects. To see pictures of the process, you can check his blog here. Within the next few days, I am sure he will posting the pictures. He was so excited last night, I am willing to bet it will be this afternoon when he returns from work.

Blocks:
Finally and best of all…. (worst for first, best for last was a chant I would always say to my friend Josh when he would always insist on being FIRST with everything) Yesterday in the mail, I received my very first quilt block and was SO pleased with it, I am going post it’s picture here on my blog. If any of you missed the post I made and therefore, don’t understand what is going on. Check here. It is a quilt block exchange. Since I got my first one. I need to start working on making one to send out. I hope to make a different one for each person sending me one-thus giving me lots of practice making different designs and maybe finding some I really like. And while I make one for the individual person, I will make the same one for myself, since I am not going to have nearly enough blocks to make the top just from ones people have sent (which I didn’t anticipate anyway.) Anyway. The block I received was from Mrs. Johnson and has little red buttons sewn on the tree for apples and a little green button on the handle of the door. I couldn’t be more pleased. Even Matt was excited for me (he originally thought my idea was dumb.) So anyway. In the coming months you will be seeing more photo’s of quilt blocks that I receive and that I make-hope you don’t get bored but just LOOKING at quilt blocks gets me all excited! :-)

8 comments:

Abigail said...

Re.: Bellyaching
Oh, do I symphathize, but good for you for looking at the benefits! I've had bad lower back/hip pain for all my pregnancies, probably due to genetics on top of my abominable posture. My muscle cramps are less with this baby, though, for which I'm grateful! Add some banana to your fruit smoothies if you're not already, because a potassium deficiency is a major cause of muscles seizing up. (And then you'd have a reason to keep making smoothies even after your tooth quits aching!)

Re.: Books
John bought a few Tasha Tudor books from a library sale when Millie was a baby b/c he really likes her books, as I and Millie now do. (In fact, Millie was just reading Tasha Tudor's Bedtime Book the night before last.) I didn't know her lifestyle was so in keeping with her books, though! Very cool. It looks like an interesting book, and the photos are wonderful. (Also, now I want to find A Time to Keep at a library book sale, assuming we don't have a copy hiding in Nanticoke storage, because I loved her reminisces that you shared. A floating cake! A cake! Floating!)

Blocks: My mom doesn't need a block in return, and neither do I. (I was supposed to tell you that a week ago.) She said that since she's not making a quilt with similarly-sized blocks, you should use this dwindling pre-baby time to make the block for your own quilt, and I second the motion! (Now if the virtues of daughters were identical to those of their mothers, you'd have a second block right now, postmarked from Buffalo.)

I hope your pains subside-- all of them, but especially the darn tooth. That, on top of the pregnancy-related aches, must be royally rotten.

Anonymous said...

I adore Tasha Tudor also. I am so excited to know about that other book about her, I am headed to the library webpage to order it after I finish here.

I am sorry you are in pain. About the aches...hip pain can be minimized by exercise and Physical therepy moves...
1. Lay on your back with your knees up and put a pillow between your knees. Now lift up your hips while squeezing the pillow. You should feel some relief. Hold for about 10 counts and repeat about 3-5 times. Work up to about 10 each time you lay down. I do mine on the bed when I rest.
2. On your hands and knees arch your back like a cat and hold. Release and repeat.
I fell last pregnancy and jolted my pelvic bone out of alinement. I had to end up going to physical therepy for the rest of the pregnancy...ugggh. I hope you feel better soon.
About that tooth...I would floss and brush more often. I would also change toothpaste to the Sensodine brand...for sensitive teeth. It has minerals in it that have helped my teeth stop falling out throughout these last 2 pregnancies. I am pregnant with number nine right now. Also, a waterpick used with some tee tree oil in the warm water will help heal that up.

I like your blog...I don't quilt so I can't send you a square but I pray that you get bunches!

Just sharing...
Christi

Paula said...

Your first block is AMAZING!! MUCH MUCH MUCH better than MY first block!! and what a challenge too (I know a little about quilting, so that was a BIG undertaking you took on)! Mine was just 8 triangles and two squares! VERY simple. =^)

I am sorry to hear about your pregnancy pains.

Thanks so much for posting some pictures from the book you are reading!! I have never heard of this author and am out to check out the book you are currently reading (as well as the children's books too).

You are such a blessing to me!! Keep blogging!!

Anonymous said...

Rebecca, I've never really read or seen much of Tasha Tudor's stuff but you've got me itching to take a trip to the library! I did a search on her and found this site. http://www.tashatudorandfamily.com/
I thought you might like to look through it sometime. Hmmm. I'll have to keep my eye out at yard sales now for T.T.'s books! Maybe we should pick up any that we see, even if we have it already, so we can offer it to one of the others of us that doesn't have it! Just a thought. I'm not sure how often they turn up at yard sales.

Christi, I'm going to go check out your blog now!

Abby, you and your mom could always turn the blocks into pillows! Also, how would I find out about library sales in our area? We need more books like we need a hole in the head but we just can't (and won't) stop! ;)

Anonymous said...

Leah...My other blog is on your sidebar. I couldn't put both blogs on the comment and figured I would put the new one.

Renaissance...sorry for highjacking this comment section. I promise...I won't do it again. :0)

Hugs.

Rebecca said...

Boy-do I need to clarify! ;-) I led people to believe the wrong things-I guess that is why you should ALWAYS reread what you wrote to make sure you said it in the right way. :-)

P~I didn't make that quilt block! By "My First Quilt Block" I meant, the first one I received for my community quilt that I am working on. Actually, the woman who made it is VERY talented in all sorts of stitchery. I have seen quilts, dresses, pants, hats, shawls, knitted and crocheted sweater sets etc. There is no WAY I could do a sqaure like that now! When I got it in the mail, I studied the back for like two hours trying to figure out how she did it. Finally, her daughter told me she used a special rip-away piecing method on interfacing paper. I am hoping to use the blocks that I receive as tools and ideas to learn to make those blocks. Maybe some day I WILL be able to make a block like that...but thanks to the generosity of several women, I am going to have in my possession blocks that far surpass MY skill...at least at present! ;-)

Christi~Thank you for stopping by! I really appreciated your advice for my hip-pain. I have started taking some time out each night to stretch and do some of the things you suggest. Maybe I should do it in the morning also....
When you said I should brush and floss more I was surprised-then I reread what I wrote and it sounded as if I was LOSING a tooth when in fact I am GETTING the tooth. Basically, I am teething right along with my children. :-) I have been off and on since the summer time...Two wisdom teeth have broken through the surface..halfway there. :-)
Anyway-I hope you keep checking in on me and leave comments whenever you feel like it. (BTW~You can hijack ANYTIME!) :-)

Abby~Bananas! I have been lacking in the fresh fruit department up until last week when I couldn't take it anymore. We had been living off of applesauce I had canned this summer or fruit out of cans. This drove me crazy since at every dinner I like to have a well balanced rounded out meal-with all the food groups included. Thanks for the tipster. I am going to see what other foods are good with Potassium and seek those babies out too!
Rynnie Roo has the Tasha Tudor's Bedtime Book too! I think those are the only too at this point though. I didn't know her books kept with her lifestyle either-until I found this book. In fact, the book says that everything she watercolors is from her own house or life. Each floral arrangement she makes actually has been copied from the REAL arrangements, wreaths, and garlands she makes from her own greenhouses and gardens. Cool, huh?

You don't worry about rushing to finish the block. You have until March after all. Remember-you have dwindling pre-baby time too! ;-) Speaking of which, do you have any major projects you would like to finish before the baby arrives? Soon----sooon!!!!!!

Leah~thanks for the site. I will check it out. I have never seen her books at yard sales or even books sales-but that doesn't mean I won't continue to keep my eyes peeled. This book especially, is on my 'some day' list. In the meantime, Libraries are such useful things! We can read and hold in our hands books we do not own-and enjoy them fully despite our limited personal libraries.

Paula said...

Leah - I agree with you that Rebecca gave me a "fever" to learn more about her. I have every book of hers at the library on hold, AND even went through ILL to get a hold of the copy of the book Rebecca is currently reading. Thanks for sharing that link! I am off to check it out as soon as I finish here.

Rebecca - I am sure it won't be long before you are able to quilt a block like that! I am kinda relieved to know that wasn't YOUR first. =^) Thanks for visiting my other blog. I have gotten SO MUCH encouragement from the ladies over there. If you start a blog over there let me know so I can add you as a friend! And thanks again for the encouragement about T.T.

Abigail said...

Leah + Rebecca,

We've found all the Tasha Tudor books we own at book sales, most of them in the "bag for $1 or $2" time at the end of the sale. If you go to Booksale Finder, you can sign up for "Sale Mail," an email service which alerts you to local book sales. The way we always found out about library booksales was to look in the newspaper, keep an eye out for flyers at the library, and/or call the libraries to see when their sales usually are. John and I would go a few hours before the $1/bag sale and compile huge stacks of books until they announced that books were now $1 a bag. Now that we're anticipating a move, those moments of book euphoria are coming back to haunt us. We've got scores of boxes of books in storage- here and in Nanticoke- so we've sworn off book sales....for now! :)

Rebecca,
Orange juice, potatoes, chicken/fish, etc., are all good sources of potassium, too, along with lots of other things I bet you eat more regularly. We buy bananas at Aldi for 29 cents a pound every few weeks. Mmmm! And Tasha Tudor's one crazy lady. I wonder how she ever had the time...