What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

SNOITULOSER

(((Edit** So it doesn't get lost in the shuffle, please notice there is another new post underneath this one. For some reason it went UNDER this post, which makes me fear people will not read it-and when yo uread it, you will know why I want it to be read! hehehe)))

HAPPY NEW YEAR! ! ! ! ! !


I still haven't posted any Christmas pictures yet. Will life ever slow down? I promise to do so shortly....maybe by the end of the week. In the meantime, I will write about the promises of the New Year.

Resolutions, ah, resolutions...

While many people feel resolutions are bad because they are unattainable and result in disappointment, I enjoy making resolutions each year and enjoy seeing the results of my efforts. I think the difference is for me-I make more goals of 'focus' and less 'pointed' goals. For instance...some people have a 'goal' of losing, say 10 pounds. That MAY happen but it is unlikely unless you are seriously motivated. Instead, I would say a goal is to focus on becoming more aware of our eating habits, to work towards preparing and eating more healthful meals and to excercise more frequently. These goals don't have a 'set' limit but an IDEA or guideline to encourage you along. Another difference is that many 'resolutions' can be checked off in a few months if you actually are focused to DO it. Mine are not. My goals are not something that can be checked off and discarded because there is ALWAYS MORE to learn about a subject. I will be working on these goals up until January 2007! That said...here are my goals for the coming year-so far (and not in any particular order...)

FOCUS: HEALTHY LIVING

1) A goal of mine is to focus this coming year on learning to cook and bake even more things from scratch and to convert recipes to more 'healthful' versions. This INCLUDES conquering the corned beef and cabbage! :-)

2) To exercise with a more regular schedule. Not to lose weight per se (although come April, that will certainly be on my mind!) but rather to continue on in keeping my body fit and strong as we all should want to be.

FOCUS: GAINING EXPERTISE

1) Photographically, I would like to focus this year on lighting and weather situations: fireworks, fog, Christmas lights, rain, etc.

2) I would like to become a better stitcher and to gain knowledge and experience in quilting. Ideally, I would like to complete two quilts by the end of the year. One for baby Peanut and a queen size one for our bed.(*See other post) By doing so, I will not only be continuing to further practice making blocks-but I will learn how to put a large quilt all together, bind and quilt it.

3) I would like to focus time and attention to beoming more skilled and knowledgable in the area of canning and preserving foods. This includes getting new recipes from others to stockpile for myself.

4)I want to study about restoring and recovering furniture and possibly practice on two antique chairs that DEFINATELY need some help. This will be a skill worthwhile to have, knowing how many things we have that have been given to use or picked up off the side of the road! :-)

FOCUS: RESPONSIBLITIES TO MATT

1) A focus this year is to stay on top of the budget. Not only to avoid unnecessary fees, but also to establish a better way to save.

2) I need to do a better job serving Matt in the area of food. I am ashamed at how many times he had to pack his own lunch this past year.

FOCUS: HOMEKEEPING

1) I would like to institute a new organzing plan. At the beginning of each month, I would like to write out the months' specific and attainable GOALS in all the above stated areas. Along with those goals I would like to list out new recipes to try, books I would like to finish reading, topics I would like to study, etc. It will serve to help my FOCUS to stay in the right place, it will hopefully discourage thumb-twiddledge and at the end of the month, I can check off those things in which I accomplished.

FOCUS: CHRISTIAN STRENGTH-TRAINING

By now you may be wondering if I am even a Christian since every Christian who has resolutions inevitably writes about 'reading the bible more' or 'acting in a more Christian manner', praying more, etc. I leave this spot until last and I will leave it unspecified because I feel that every Christian person has miles and MILES to go in EVERY area of Christianity. If I were to write all my goals down here, I would of course, leave LOTS out-and still BORE the heck out of you! So, I will continue this year to strive to do and be all the things the Lord wants me to do and be-which requires me to continue to LEARN what those things are. :-)

Well, that is by no means exhaustive but these smallish items will certainly keep me busy. I look foward to January 2007 to look back and see all the wonderful things I have accomplished and learned! Feel free to share any resolutions you might have too! Even if you don't MAKE resolutions-it is good to have some introspection and self-evaluation every now and again. See what might better yourself. Even if you don't share them with me or anyone else, I would encourage you to at least think about it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading your post today. Have a great day! ~Jen

Abigail said...

I'm not too keen on grand resolutions, because I toss them too easily, but I did make a list of "Real Thoughts" and "Nice Thoughts" this year. My "Real Thoughts" are goals that have been simmering in waiting for a time now, and the new year is a good time to implement routines for me. It was fun to see how many overlapped with your focuses. I agree, too, that failure is less likely when you view your goals as long-term focuses instead of a checklist.

(My "Nice Thoughts" are more typical grand resolutions, and I already anticipate which ones are realistic and which will be tossed in a few weeks.) One of my goals is exercise, too, but Francis, our front downstairs neighbor, doesn't even like to hear the girls' footsteps, so I can just imagine what she'd think of my feet pounding out an aerobic rhythm. Ha! (I can't wait for warmer weather, because right now, I'm almost 100% sedentary, and, boy, do I look and feel like a Giant Slug.)

Rebecca said...

Abby-While excercise will be on the forefront...I have an obstacle like you. Not in the form of Francis-but in that we have our TV upstairs and for some reason (either my ridiculously large body or the unevenness of this house) the whole house shakes and I inevitably find SOMETHING that has fallen off of some shelf or bookcase. Could the whole right side of the house really just crumble to the ground during a 'high-impact' bounce leaving me staring in disbelief at the rubble around me with my water bottle in hand? I dare not find out..... :-)

Abigail said...

#1. You could be swept away by a large gust of wind. I solidly (no pun intended) place my bet on the unevenness of the house.

#2. If it gives small comfort to any pregnant women out there, let it be known that my footfalls-- simple, measured footfalls-- caused knick knacks on top of my parents' break front to jiggle. (Their house is uneven, though!!!!!!)