What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Welcoming Baby and My "Before Peanut" List

After reading a similar post on the subject of 'welcoming baby', I thought I would expound personally on what I do to welcome our babies. It is hard for some to understand how having multiple children would be more than a nod and sigh after a while, but each child is precious and a miracle in itself. As such, each child should be welcomed and made to know the love that surrounds them from the beginning. I know that as time goes on, I may change up a little depending on my interests and such-but I have firmly vowed to myself, that time will NOT hinder me from showing my child love through the memories that I have created. Since many of you know I am a photo FREAK, you can pretty much guess that photographs are going to come into play in a BIG way. My mom seems to think that with each child, photographs will be less and less but I wholeheartedly disagree. I was the fourth child and I have all of three baby pictures (and they were all taken on the same day!) No exaggeration here. Now I realize-by the time the fourth had come, this young couple who had married BROKE now was even more financially stretched with four little ones so film was not really an option. (And I fully admit to spending more than I should on film developing...which is why I would LOVE a digital someday...) But by having only three pictures of me, I grew up feeling like I was the 'reject' child. I hate not having any baby pictures and I refuse to do that to ANY of my children. 1st or 15th-they will all have plenty of pictures of themselves to look back on and show their kids.

So-here is my list of things I do to welcome baby-and will continue to do for ALL of our children!

~From the time I learn I am pregnant, I start a journal of all the things I think about, anticipate, and go through during pregnancy, the feelings I have for the wee one, and later my observations of the child and his/her antics. I will continue to write in this journal until they are grown and on their own. I think I will probably give it to them on their wedding days. This journal is, as time progresses, written in less and less-and eventually only written in on special occasions or at certain times-but I think it will be a blessing indeed for my children to realize all that I feel for them.

~I scrapbook a baby album for each child with pictures from birth-1 year. I also include pregnancy pictures and baby shower photos...although I doubt all my babies will have shower photos.

~I have a 'baby box' for each child that includes a first diaper, a first outfit, the newspaper clipping of the birth, his/her birth announcements, a first toy and anything else I think to put it in. This is where the journal is also.

~I make the birth announcements myself. I will do this for all my children because I enjoy making cards and because it will show ALL the people who receive them that this baby is not 'just number ______' but a special and much anticipated reason for celebration!

~Starting with Peanut, I will make a baby quilt for him/her. Corynn never got one because at the time I was too afraid to even attempt making a quilt. I plan to make her a twin-sized one for the bed she should soon be receiving. (It will probably not be right when she gets it though.)

~Matt and I usually make something for our 'children' when we find out about baby. With Corynn-he made a cradle and I made the bedding and mattress for it. With Peanut, he plans to make a changing table and I will make a pad. As time progresses and we have all that we need, it may go from large things like bookcases and a high chair, etc. to smaller things like step stools and rocking horses. But I hope the tradition keeps up.

Anyway-that is what I do. At least, all I can THINK of right now.

On to a similar yet different subject....

Only 11 weeks to go! Sometimes I feel like it is a terribly long time to wait but most of the time I am thinking-how will I get this all done before Peanut arrives?!?! It doesn't seem so far away when you add my "Before Peanut Project List" to the mix.

This weekend is a busy and special weekend (I will explain later), then February 18th will be my shower (not so far away), sometime after that Matt will be going to Guatemala for 2 weeks or so, then in March there is another baby shower for a lady at church. With just the 'activities' in the next few months I will be busy. But here are the things I am working to accomplish before baby Peanut arrives.

Before Baby Peanut I need to:

*Switch Corynn's bed to twin-size and move out the youth bed.
*Change the childrens' room to accomodate the cradle and Peanut's arrival.
*Get caught up with my family scrapbook-meaning scrapbook all past photos that have not yet been, sort through the rest, put some away for Corynn and clear out the rest. That will free up my picture drawer and my TIME to scrapbook to oodles of baby pictures I will be taking of Peanut.
*Start a scrapbook for Peanut and before (s)he arrives, scrapbook shower photos, pregnancy photo's, and ultrasound photos.
*Make a quilt for Peanut.
*Prepare the birth announcements and finish (without the stats) by the time Peanut arrives.
*Sort through, organize, and set aside toys, clothes, and other various JUNK to sell at the yard sale I will having (probably May.) I want to get a head start on THAT project since it is a BIG one.
*Take a pile of books to a used book store and see if they will buy them from me. (I have never done this before...I don't even know if they do that...)
*Get the changing table and pad done and put into place.
*Finish all the blocks for my first queen size friendship quilt and start putting it together. (This might not get completed by the time Peanut arrives but I WOULD like to be pretty far along on it.)
*Make a cover for our down comforter (which now has several teeny holes so that when you sit on it, feathers fly all about...)
*Refinish dresser Matt bought at an auction for $5.00
*Switch most winter clothes to Spring (while still keeping a few warm things out) so when the baby comes I don't have to do that job right away.
*Inventory our cupboards and get stocked up on things so I can send Matt to aldi's for milk and eggs and such instead of making huge shopping trips right away.
*Have Corynn potty trained... please, PLease, PLEASE?!?! (BTW-she is in big girl panties all the time at home now-that does not mean they stay dry-though she is showing improvement. I am feeling very much like the cloth diaper days, except NOW you have to pull them down and off which adds another level of skill to the mix.)

Well, if I finish all that it will be a miracle but I KNOW I will be adding to the list as time progresses. Anyway-if anyone wants to share what they do to welcome baby, please do! That goes for project lists to get done before spring also. ;-)

8 comments:

flacius1551 said...

books to used book store: depending on what books you have, it may be more profitable for you to sell them on line. amazon.com is really easy, and they take care of collecting the money (although some people complain about their fees, I think it's not bad in return for them collecting the money and putting it in your bank account). anyway, just make sure you compare prices.

Anonymous said...

Re. your comment about the bed...we only had the metal frame that the mattress and box springs sits on...no headboard or anything...then Rich built me a picket fence headboard and I painted it white. It's cute and I may do something similar in the girls room once Lydia gets bigger. Maybe your hubby could do something like that if that is your style. Have a great day! ~Jen

Abigail said...

Before-Baby lists and springtime tasks? Pffft. I finished those months ago, and now I have nothing but a lazy, lollygagging three and a half weeks to whittle away. (And if only I hadn't sent you a p.s. to my email, you might just believe me!)

Good luck checking those chores off one by one. Your next eleven weeks will fly by!

Paula said...

used books: while selling them on amazon (I prefer half.com because the fee they keep is less, but provide the same service), it does take a LOT of time (trust me, I used to have a huge list of books and videos that I sold online). AND sometimes you think something will sell when it doesn't. the used book store is a one trip and they give you money. True, it will be less than if you sold online, but the time you save is WONDERFUL! I usualyl donate the rest and write it off on taxes (be sure to get a receipt from Goodwill or where you donate). now you COULD, if you have enough books, take them to someplace like Consider It Sold (a service which sells and mails for you) and make more money than just the used bookstore. You could also just group all the books to sell online instead of selling individually online.

As for a quilt, i make all my babies a quilt. it only takes me an hour! it is a style calle an envelope quilt. You get a yard of fabric for the front, a coordinating yard for the back, and then the batting (don't skimp on batting and get the cheap stuff, it will come out through the quilt). put all three layers together like you would if you were making a pillow (fabrics are right sides together with batting on top). I pin and then stitch all the way around (leaving about 4-5 inches in the middle of one of bottom of the short side). Then flip inside out. Slip stitch the hole closed. Smooth out the quilt and the corners. Pin throughout the quilt through all three layers.

Then I take the quilt and put it under my machine. I pick a pretty stitch (like a heart or flower, but you can just sew in the same place over and over again) to machine tie (just like hand tying, but you use your machine).

With the twin beds, I use 2 yards of fabric. Of course they have bunk beds, so I do not need it as long on the sides as I would if it were not bunk beds.

Anyways, I hope that helps.

Full of Grace said...

I wrote this long post about what I did to welcome Samuel, and what I'd like to do for future children. Unfortunately, my computer froze up again, and all my work was lost :(
So, I will make this shorter, my list is very similar to yours ( I guess great minds think alike, it doesn't hurt that we are sisters!)
1.I make a photo album and a scrapbook, that way when Samuel grows up, he can take his, and I'll still have one! I also have a journal and baby book I've recorded important happenings in.
2.I will make a blanket for our children- Samuel got a "cheater quilt" who knows what kind will be next time!
3. I would like to also make birth announcements myself each time.
4. I'd like to draw a picture of each of my children, then frame and mat it- I still have Samantha and Wayne to do!
5.I'd also like to handmake a Christmas gift for each child for their first Christmas. Samuel's was a baby bible book.

You have a huge To Do list before baby peanut comes- I hope you are able to accomplish all you've set out to do! :)

Rebecca said...

Thanks for all the advice on the books! I am not sure which avenue I will take...probably the one with most profit since it seems that is most worth it right now. Maybe I will take them to the used book store and see how much they will give me for them and see if that number is worthwhile or not. They are in EXCELLENT condition (most of which I we have never used...they are not really 'our' kind of books, yet we have gotten them as gifts...) Of course, others are just some we have picked through...I have never thought of using Amazon or half.com...I DIDN'T want to do EBAY though since I never seem to have any luck with that.

Jen~What a neat idea for a headboard. I have never seen anything like it-but if you get that waverly rose set that you thought about getting, it would work perfectly!

Abby~Your list was longer than mine I think! And 3 1/2 WEEKS!?!? My goodness! I can't believe you are only three more weeks 'til showtime! WOW! I thought 11 weeks was close. I can't imagine being THREE weeks!

P~That is a cool idea for the quilt. And really easy sounding too. That is a great way to pull off some blankets quickly. My daughter is getting a twin bed in the next few weeks from her grandparents and we have no blankets for a twin bed except for a set of flannel sheets I got at a yard sale this summer by some fluke (for the future...). That might be a fast and easy way to get a comforter made without spending oodles. As long as I get the fabric on sale... ;-)

Elizabeth~I forgot about you drawing Samuel! Man. If ONLY I had THAT sort of talent! So-you got the album practically done in a span of two days. That is amazing. Are you in hurry for any particular reason...say, the coming of twin boys?!?! ;-)

Full of Grace said...

Actually, I did Samuel's scrapbook done in two days- I finished it yesterday (until I get refills, and then I'll be busy as a bumblebee again)
As for twin boys- let it be known that there are no babies in the forecast quite yet, but if Bob has his say in the matter, he is requesting twin red-headed boys the next time around ;)

Regina said...

Gracious! With all this "baby prep" talk goin' on around here, ya all are makin' me "get the itch"! ...now where is my treadmill...

Can't wait to join you! ...and...the thought of twin red headed boys....just ADORABLE! ;)

Blessings,
Regina