What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

No real theme to these thoughts...pretty mcuh just ramblings.

It is already Wednesday and this is the first day I have been home for the whole day since Friday! It feels good. I celebrated by making Maple Oat cookies.

Monday, Linda invited us ‘girls’ to her house for a luncheon. It was nice having lunch with six other interesting ladies (and Corynn). I enjoyed myself but since Monday’s are also my GROCERY day, I had to go out AFTER that which was during Corynn’s nap. We left home at 9:30 and didn’t get home until 4:45.

Tuesday, Corynn and I drove out to Elmira to meet with and spend time with Mom. That too, was nice, but tiring. Mom cut my hair, something that has been needing to be done for longer than I want to admit. The last time I got it cut, the lady either did a horrible job or since then, I have ahad a chunk pulled out-because the back of my hair was uneven by about 4 inches. My mom was shocked. It was like a hunk was cut out of it or something. So, she evened it up as best she could without cutting all the length off of it. It is still not perfect but definitely more camoflauged and the ends are much healthier. By mistake, she cut the sides super-duper short but I actually like it. I hope having short sides will discourage me from tucking my hair behind my ears like a teenager-a habit that I have been trying to break, to no avail.

During my visit, my brother Jonathan stopped by as he was passing through on his delivery route (he delivers flowers all the way out here from SYRACUSE!) and gave us a bunch of reject flowers he would have thrown away. A ‘bunch’ does not DESCRIBE the mass beauty brimming out of a bucket in my mom’s kitchen. There were probably 25 ‘bunches’ of flowers (mostly carnations, a couple roses, and a couple bouquets of ‘mixed’ flowers) wrapped in cellophane. I wish I would have had my camera. Anyway, since Jonathan has been spoiling Mom with the ‘rejects’ for a few weeks now, I was able to take a good share of them myself! I then split them up and gave some to my sister, and even gave two bouquets to our landlady before I made two arrangements for myself. One of just carnations and the one pictured below…with three red roses, white carnations (mini and regular), and some purple statis. I can’t tell you how that made my day. If only I could have fresh flowers in my house every week!!! OH-that would be such bliss! I SERIOUSLY feel so much better throughout the day when I can look at fresh flowers from time to time and smell my yummy smelling candles burning. I guess I am either a real romantic or just a girlie-girl to the core.

This weekend Matt didn’t end up working on the changing table, other than picking out 2 inch lumber that needs to be split into thinner boards. He DID do lots of wonderful stuff for me though-without my asking, which was a nice surprise. He and his Dad worked on setting up a lathe that Gary had. When they got that set up, they made a wooden piece that I needed for a food mill type thing I got at a yard sale. The one they made they were not happy with, so they will make me another one (apparently so the ball on the end is bigger to fit my hand better?!?!) but I was very impressed with their workmanship. You wouldn’t believe how SMOOTH the wood feels in your hand. I think the lathe is my favorite woodworking tool thus far. I am already thinking of all sorts of great projects you could do! :-)
The other project they worked on was the BEST ever. Bob (my BIL) wound up with the winning bids for two different camera tripods on ebay. One he gave to my sister for Christmas…what a guy! (That is one thing I wanted for Christmas this year too.) The other, was missing the most important piece (a piece that holds the camera to the tripod). Without it, the thing is unusable. It is an older model (but SUPER nice)so you can’t order the part or anything. So, he gave it to Matt and I, saying if Matt could make a piece for it, it was ours. (Again I say, What a guy!) Well. Leave a challenge like that to Matt and it will probably get done. He gets THAT from his Dad. When his Dad saw the tripod, he nearly popped with delight. I could see the wheels in his head spinning and the twinkle in his eye forming. (This is the man who made a perfectly functioning wood splitter from the engine of a lawn mower!) Within a few hours, they had the finished piece made and tested to perfection. I couldn’t be more thrilled. I have wanted a tripod for….well, since I got my camera!

So that is about all that is new and exciting. I got permission to post some pictures of Mandie’s newest Christmas present so I will post my favorite picture of them, along with a few random snapshots.
I have been on a VERY limited grocery budget for a few weeks so I am using this time as a perfect opportunity to clear my freezer of things, especially meats. Which-is now nearly done. :-) I was feeling pretty desperate and unsure of, well, everything!-and then I opened up a drawer where I keep old letters and such and found one from you, Abby. It was from November ’04 and it spoke volumes of today. It is amazing how the messages in letters can speak to you years later and how the wisdom is prevelant regardless of the day. (So-a year later, just as a year before, your words are a constant encouragement to me and you teach me and help to strengthen me, and help me to refocus. Your friendship and wisdom is just invaluable. Precious and rare. Thank you.) I am now trying to be positive about the whole thing, viewing it as a fun challenge rather than something that needs to be worried about. Interestingly, I am finding joy in prioritizing our needs and watching every penny. Now the challenge is being creative with the resources at my disposal. Last night I made sausage gravy and biscuits with an orange, pinapple, and apricot fruit salad for supper. (Oranges are suddenly my thing…I can eat three or four of them a day and want MORE!)
What’s on the menu for tonight? German Potato salad, either chicken breasts or kielbasa, tossed salad, lemony brussel sprouts; strawberry, banana, and pineapple fruit salad and of course, Maple Oat cookies for dessert.
I have to find something great to make with a chuck roast (or several meals). Don’t know what. Any suggestions would be a welcome treat! :-)

Thanks for ‘listening’ to me ramble. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rebecca,

Your luncheon on Monday sounded fun! How did Corynn survive the long day?

A haircut! I need one of those, too! And free flowers! How cool!

I agree with you that Abby's friendship and wisdom are invaluable! How blessed we are to call her friend! Now, if we could just get the Owen clan to move a little closer we could enjoy their encouraging words in person on a more regular basis! ;)

Your menu for the last few nights has sounded scrumptious! Sausage gravy is one of our favorites! As for the chuck roast, you could do it just like I did the roast we brought to church meal last Sunday, if you have the ingredients. Here's the basic recipe. Peel and quarter 6 potatoes. Peel and cut 6 carrots. Place both in the bottom of the crockpot. Place your thawed roast on top of the veggies. Add one packet of onion soup mix and one can of mushroom soup to the pot. Turn crockpot on low for 8-9 hours. It's very easy and delicious! You could use the leftovers to make a beef stew!

Abigail said...

The flowers are beautiful! Think you could convince your brother to stop by the Buffalo area next time?

I'd never guess that you're on an extremely limited budget with the feasts you're having. I'd expect rice and beans and potatoes for every meal. :) A penny goes far with wise shopping, eh? I don't know what to have for supper tonight, and you've made me feel ashamed!

That's so cool that Bob gave you a tripod (three cheers for Bob!) and that Matt and his dad are so skilled with woodwork (six cheers! three for father; three for son).

I value my friendship with you and Leah both and do wish we were closer so that we could enjoy flesh-and-blood conversation more often. Thanks for your kind words, but I'm undeserving of them. My biggest struggles are just in different areas, some of which are your areas of strength, so right back at ya! (And it's too bad that I haven't written a real letter in so many months. You're forced to pull out year-old letters? For shame, Abigail!)

And Leah, if only it were nine in the morning and I had a roast in my freezer, I'd steal your meal! It sounds perfect for a blustery day like today.