What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

A Productive Weekend....

Saturday was our yard sale and I am very happy with the experience. It was the most calm and stress-free yard sale I have ever been a part of. I am sure it had to do with the hard work I did each day leading up to it-sorting things, making signs, pricing things days in advance, and having the layout all planned in my head. I finished all the yard sale work on Thursday so I could devote Friday to baking. I spent the day making loaves of bread (Honey Berry Wheat and Cinnamon Raisin) and seven pies...(2 Creamy Peach, 2 open-faced Strawberry, 2 Lemon Chess with Meringue, and one Chocolate Chess). This was the first time I had ever baked anything to go along with a yard sale but I did sell some of them and the others I gave away (which was just as nice a reason to make them...) Though all that baking in one day made me feel like I was Amish, and it got to be tedious, I think I will try it again too. Maybe cookies and things also. Who knows? Now that I have a canner, maybe I can set things out like zucchini relish, homemade pickles, chili sauce, jams, and other fine canned products.

The weather was beautiful and I turned out over $100.00!!!!!!! WOOHOO! It was a fun time too-Bob stopped by before work and Mom drove over with the kids for a few hours too. Elizabeth and I had a good time visiting, as always. I am glad to be rid of so much stuff. Whatever didn't sell is going to go to Mom's yard sale the end of August. All proceeds there are going to go to the church, though she won't advertise it being for the church.

Because of the rummage sale, the house has fallen by the wayside. I haven't cleaned in ages, tidying wasn't on my agenda, and in fact, things were thrown here and there in the rush of Saturday. On top of that, our washer broke two weeks ago , leaving us with a handful of loads of wash to get done. This week will be devoted to getting the house back in the order it should be in, and I hope that much of that work gets done today.

But in order for that to happen....I have to get my rear in gear and start working.....

Oh yeah. Forgot to mention. We broke down and bought a new washer...one of the cheap ones. When the washing machine repair guy said "Ummmm....How old is this washer?" and then gave us a funny head shake when we suggested replacing the solonoids on a 30 year old machine-we took the hint. Bringing it home was great fun because there was a severe storm warning...and we travelled in it and UNDER it the whole way home. It was an odd feeling, travelling UNDER lightening. Gave me the goosebumps. Anyway. I have gotten all five loads done today-and would you believe, all were hung out to dry-and all were able to dry out completely. Wow. I didn't think I could line dry five loads in one day! I guess that tells you how hot it is here today!

1 comment:

Abigail said...

Hurrah for you! I was thoroughly productive all day for the first time in a while (this comment counts for productivity, too, you know), so I can read this post without any twinges of "I coulda, shoulda, too..."

Can you fit more than one load of laundry on your line at one time? I'm impressed!

A new washer deserves another exclamation point. ! And another hurrah. Hurrah!

And, lastly, your baked goods sound so good, and even in this stuffy, stifled, sauna of a place, I am tempted to attempt duplication. (Not seven pies, of course! One will suffice. One of each, that is.)