What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Moving at the speed of light-or so it feels.

It's been a while........my weekend at Lake O' Meadows was hectic but coming home was the worst. Friday:
We left and didn't get there until late.
Saturday:Went to Elmira to visit with my mom. Hit some hard sales. Came back to help Linda with bridal shower preparations. Went kayaking on the lake at sunset (for the first time! What tranquility and awe can be inspired on a lake surrounded by a sky of fire!)
Sunday:Matt taught Sunday school, then we high-tailed it out of there to make it to the shower to help. The shower was great-beautiful atmosphere and very fun.

We came home late on Sunday night with the car completely packed full of stuff. It was dark and Corynn was quiet so we assumed she was asleep. When we got home, though, we realized WHY she had been quiet. She had found my bottle of makeup and unscrewed it (I didn't even know she could do that!) and she covered her lips and forehead with it. Of course, makeup also got all over her clothes and carseat. I was so upset! Looking back though, it was sort of cute seeing her face with no outline of lips or anything. She looked almost like an umpa-lumpa!
Needless to say, we didn't unload the car or anything-we just went to bed!

Monday I woke up early, unpacked our weekend stuff, got two loads of laundry washed, cleaned out the car, and took the carseat apart and washed everything I could. We had just gone out to the garden and harvested some veggies when the phone rang. My dad was calling and telling me Mom had just gone in an ambulance to the hospital. She thought she was having a heart attack. Now for those of you who don't know my mom-1) She has foster/adoptive kids so someone had to get out there to watch them. 2) She has a very high pain tolerance so her taking an ambulance really means something! SO-I had to get out there quick (it's an hour drive) to take care of the kids while Dad went to the hospital. I quickly put the carseat cover in the dryer (it was dripping wet when dad called), REPACKED a suitcase that didn't have make-up all over it, hung the clothes on the line, put the carseat back together and left. The house was in UPROAR! Yard sale stuff flung everywhere. My fleece project lying all over the dining room table-pickling cucumbers waiting to be pickled , dirty dishes...the list goes on. I ended up taking care of six kids (one was mine) all under 7 years old. Actually THREE of them (including my own) were 22-24 months old. (Terrible two's?!?!?! hehehe) I spent the night there and took care of them the next day too-while also preparing for a Foster Care support group picnic that my parents' were hosting (they wouldn't DREAM of cancelling it!) I ended up coming home last night. I needed a break, and I had a lot to do here too. My sister came in the afternoon and planned to stay until after the kids were in bed-then Dad is in charge. Samantha, my 11 year old niece asked to go and stay with them for a few days to help out, so she will be there too. How sweet is that? ANYWAY. My mom is STILL in the hospital and may be until tomorrow. They have been running test after test to see what had happened. She is feeling much better now and is trying to coerce the doctor's to let her go home and come back for the test on Thursday. The tests they have done are inconclusive. They have not ruled out a heart attack but haven't said it was a heart attack. One of the tests showed her electrolyte (?) levels near where heart attack levels would be...but they just don't know. They did also find gallstones that will eventually have to be taken care of, but they don't link those with the pain. So. That's the scoop. (Sorry Leah, for not calling you...as you now know, I was at my 'rents house and I had just a *few* things going on! hehehe)

Coming home was the most wonderful experience ever. The old adage 'Absence makes the heart grow fonder' must be true, because there is nothing so sweet as a return to your love's arms. When I return to Matt after being gone for a day or two, he has never smelled so good, he has never looked more handsome, I can't stop admiring him, and I have never felt more complete. Each touch holds the adoration of the days of our young love-the days when a touch could take breath away and make you giddy all day.

If you would, please keep my mom and her family in your prayers.

3 comments:

Abigail said...

Praying for your mom and the whole family. Keep us updated!

(And, golly, girl. You sure know how to put a certain Depew someone to shame. Canning and sewing taking care of a boatload of children. Whew!)

p.s. I'm jealous of the kayaking. My heart stretched out as I imagined how beautiful it is on the lake.

Abigail said...

umm.

Please insert the needed AND, with oomph and emphasis attached.

Rebecca said...

Trust me Abby-it isn't always so. And I wouldn't have done all of that stuff if I didn't have to. A girl's got to do what a girl's got to do though.

Next time I go kayaking-I am definately bringing the camera...