What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

One More Thing.....

Matt decided that we will turn off the internet. I think we will have until the end of the month of October, since we pay per month. I hope so anyway-because this weekend I am going to have lots of new pictures to post!

I am hosting a costume party at our house for some friends of ours! My friend Wendy planned to do it, but wasn't able to at the last minute. Well, by that time, she had teased me with the idea and I had gotten so excited about dressing up, that I decided to take on the task myself. I am VERY excited-call me a kid, but I think dressing up is FUN.

The party starts at 6 on Saturday and kids and adults will dress up for it. Our church has game-nights several times a year, so it will be very much like that, except everyone will be dressed up. We will probably play Cranium (a Newman Fave), Taboo, or sherades. So now, I am racking my brains for some creative and INEXPENSIVE ways to decorate the house, fun snacks to serve, and how to make Matt's costume. It is proving to be harder than I had first thought. But he REALLY wants to be this certain thing-so I am REALLY going to have to try harder. I won't say what we will be, but Corynn is going to be a lion. I bought the costume this year-instead of making it. The Salvation Army was selling it for $2.00 and you can't make a costume for that price. Anyway-any wonderful ideas would be appreciated.

Matt made his first batch of Apple Cider this past week-he made two gallons and a wine bottle worth. It is gone now. But he has since picked 3 or 4 more bushels of apples to make more. We will serve some at the party, and he will make some into Hard Cider. You can see him here, proud as a peacock. He also got another deer hide to work with this year-so he is brushing out the cobwebs on that process too.

Also-I decided to cancel the craft show for this Saturday. The amount of stuff I had done, even if I sold EVERYTHING, would hardly cover the cost of the table-and so it is not worth my time. Which is a HUGE burden off of my back. Now I can focus on the party-and after that, I will have a few weeks to finish my crafts before I have to worry about another show. Phew! What a relief!

Good stuff is happening........

2 comments:

Abigail said...

I always miss the fun parties!

Popcorn balls are always yummy and inexpensive, too. You can make caramel or peanut butter or regular, and turn them into little owls with a bit of candy (I've got a picture if you want me to email it to you). A big pumpkin can be hollowed out to hold orange punch, and the pumpkin meat used to make pumpkin quickbread, bars, or cookies. Dip can be put in smaller, hollowed-out pumpkins, too (like pizza dip- mmmm).

Covered apples- candy, chocolate caramel, or caramel- are inexpensive to make and yummy, especially if you can get the apples free. You're probably too swamped to make doughnuts, but they're yummy, too, of course. You could make doughnut holes instead of large ones, and they wouldn't take much time. Coating them in orange -tinted powdered or regular sugar would make them festive for fall.

If you don't make popcorn balls, you could just put popcorn in a big bowl, mixed with a few nuts and candy corn. My sister just sent me a recipe for Truffle "Acorn" Chocolates that looks cool....

That's all babbling off the top of my head, and I just realized how carried away I'm getting with the food.

Decorations? Easy construction paper cutouts of leaves for placemats and/or coasters. Um. You could make construction paper cutout pumpkins and thread them together for a garland. Um. Real leaves scattered around. Um. Why am I giving lame suggestions to the master decorator?

It will look lovely, I'm sure! Have fun; I'm looking forward to snapshots (and seeing Matt's Mystery Costume).

Rebecca said...

Well, you know-you ARE invited! Hey-you drove a good distance to see a bunch of shabby whales...isn't seeing Matt with a sword just as great a sideshow? ;-)

Thanks for the GREAT ideas Abby! I am impressed! Lots to think about... Your food ideas have got me feeling bad...they all sound so wonderful-but I KNOW I am not going to have time to do all that work and make Matt's costume, fix mine (since it doesn't exactly fit me anymore (boohoohoo) and decorate the house.

I might do the pumpkin punch bowl idea-I was planning to use the church's punch bowl but could not find it so I need SOMETHING to put my 'putrid punch' in! :-)

Since small pumpkins are each $1.00, I went to the DOllar store and got three beautiful glass dishes. In orange, yellow, and green and I will put dips in those. Even better-I will have them for next year and next year and the years after that!

Again-thanks for the great ideas-I am definately going to be using as many of them as I can!