What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Thursday, October 13, 2005

A VERY Yummy Recipe and the Holiday Spirit...

Howdy!

Today, despite every dish we own being dirty and awaiting a wash in the kitchen, my house is spotless-dusted, tidied, de-spiderwebbed, laundry caught-up, cleaned, swept, and organized. we had company over last night-Matt's parents came over and brought with them 'Gram'-Matt's Grandma. She had never been here before so I wanted it all to be perfect. I made a Pork Roast with Sauerkraut, some homemade Oatmeal bread with cinnamon-honey butter (yep-I tried to make it myself this time Bob!), sweet peas, homemade applesauce, and pumpkin pie still warm from the oven and ice cream for dessert. The meal was so delicious that I am going to post the recipe for the main dish here. It is sweetened by a sugary applejuice broth so it is TASTY!

PORK ROAST WITH SAUERKRAUT

4-53 pork roast
1 T. cornstarch
1/4 t. salt
1 T. lemon juice
1 1/2 c. chopped apples
1 T. brown sugar
2 c. apple juice, divided
1 (32 oz.) jar or bag of saurkraut, drained and rinsed
1/2 c. shredded carrots

Place Pork in a roasting pan. Roast at 350 degrees for one hour. While that is roasting, in a med. saucepan, combine brown sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in 1 1/2 c. apple juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Set aside. Cut up apples. When roast is done, spoon combines sauerkraut, apples, carrot, and remaining apple juice around roast. Pour apple juice mixture over the roast and sauerkraut in the roaster. Cover and Roast 30 minutes longer-until meat thermometer reads 155-160 degrees.

DELICIOUS!

Once I spend the morning cleaning the kitchen-I will have nothing else to hinder me from focusing on my crafts. Which NEED to get done! I keep saying that...so why haven't I done anything about it?!?!?!

In other news:
~My sister has started a blog. You can check it here...though be patient. She has just started and is just learning all the cool tricks to it.

~We got another two bushels of apples from Matt's parents' house. Matt and Nathan (his bro.) are going to make apple cider tonight. That will be fun. I will probably stay home and work on crafts-who knows how long it will take and Corynn won't need to be hauled around for all hours.

~Tomorrow we are going to MY parents' house to spend the night so Matt can help my dad with some projects. I am taking the other pie I baked with me to their house. I hope to get out to the library out there-it is the best library anywhere around these parts. The best library I have BEEN to, actually. Every time I go out there, I leave with 20-30 books. That will be fun.

~ I am a traitor by all rights. I have already begun listening to Christmas music. GASP! DOUBLE GASP!

Have a good weekend.

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Rebecca
The link to your sisters blog does not work. You might want to check and see if you have it typed in right where you made your template changes.
Good to see you posting again.
Blessings
Brenda

Abigail said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Abigail said...

p.p.s.
Have you ever thought of starting a recipe blog? Strange, but it just struck me as a great idea. Out of the blue.

Abigail said...

Sound so good! Thanks for the recipe! I'll have to try it now that the weather demands bone-warming comfort meals. (And what a fantastic menu, replete with varied treats for the tongue...reminds me of a certain meal I savored at the same house and prepared by those same hands several months ago.)

I miss pressing apples and haven't done it in years. The smell alone is worth it!

Enjoy the books (sorted courtesy of our friendly librarians)and the...CHRISTMAS MUSIC?!?!?! (I'm shocked.)

p.s. I posted a looong comment in your last post regarding websites and other things. I just don't want it to fall into Blogdom's floorboard cracks.