What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, October 10, 2005

Still here, perhaps not for long.

I haven’t posted in a while. (Thanks for noticing and caring, Brenda!) I AM okay-but not great. This last week has been filled only with my sniffles, snuffles, and pain. I have had seriously painful headaches all week-the kind that make it difficult even to stand up. As I type, I am inwardly screaming because, though I feel somewhat better today, Corynn found her recorder and is now blowing in it with all her might. It is taking ALL my strength to keep typing and not grab that stupid thing and crush it into bits with a hammer. Anywho! :-) Headaches, coupled with sick stomach, are the ‘excuse’ for me not doing very much last week. This is a tougher pregnancy than the first. I just have to keep bucking up.

The house is FREEZING these days. I have been so tempted to turn on the heat but we just can’t. Not this early. I wish I had a temperature gauge for the inside of the house, it would be interesting to see, just for curiosities sake. It has been rainy and damp for a few days now, if you were to stop by, you would most likely see me curled up with a book with a nice hot mug of hot cocoa (and marshmellows, of course!) I just finished reading the book Shiloh Autumn by Bodie and Brock Theone. It was very good. Reminded me how GOOD we really have it. These people were in the depression and at the very end, had ONLY guinea hens to eat. No bread. Nothing else but guinea hens for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. But that was something to be thankful for. They almost didn’t have those! I have started on another book from our church library called The Family Worship Book. So far, so good.

With the weather as it has been, I have been tempted to do some knitting-but haven’t gotten that out yet. It is the perfect weather for it. I am also planning on making a fleece shawl/coat for Corynn to wear to church this winter. I will use some cream fleece that I bought to make baby buntings and will purchase some fur when it goes on sale. I may even make a fur muff for her hands. I love the Victorian look-but as they get older, it is harder to come by! My first craft show is in TWO weeks-and the count down has begun. I still have NOTHING made except a few buntings so I REALLY need to get cracking on them! I hate the last minute rush but I know, once THIS show is over, the pressure will be off a LITTLE bit. After all-you never sell ALL your merchadise at a show. The dining rom table is USUALLY FULL of my painting stuff, and if not full, the supplies are shoved to the side so we can sit and eat at it too. I dream of someday having a craft room…wouldn’t it be GRAND?!?!

Matt and I are looking into cutting costs this winter. We are going to look at a house for rent that has a woodstove. If we could get into that-it might just help us save on fuel oil. We are also contemplating cutting off the internet. It is only $20.00 a month-but that is $240 dollars a year we would save. Of course, Matt would not be affected by this, since he has internet at work. But I would have to go to the library to do anything with this blog or on ebay or whatever. I don’t like the idea, but it may be good too-since I find myself on the internet for about 30 minutes everyday-or more. That is time that could be spent doing more productive things.

This week looks like it will be pretty busy for us. We hope to take a load of apples to a friend of ours’ house to make cider. Matt also wants to see about getting another batch of beer brewed-which is a good thing, since we have more bottles than I can stand around here now! I have my garden to clear out-and fertilize with rabbit pellets getting ready for next year-if we are even here. I have to clean out our mudroom-which you can hardly walk through anymore. I have to get these crafts done! I have to take stuff down to the basement. Laundry. Dusting. Mopping. All sorts of stuff.

On a side note-I am proud of myself for sticking with an exercise program for the last week despite my feeling ill. My belly may grow to unfathonable widths, my arms, legs and (hopefully!) my face will stay fit. To reward myself, I took special time this weekend to ‘pamper’ myself. I painted my nails-but not just regular painting. Since taking my prenatal vitamins again, my nails have really grown-so much so that they were long enough for me to paint them in a way that they look french manicured. It is simple to do with strips of sticky paper, and white and clear nail polish-but it makes me feel so…sophisticated and elegant. I needed that.

Anyway. Time to go. Hope I didn’t bore anyone with my mundane update…

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will miss you if you aren't able to blog anymore. I don't comment alot lately because of the new baby and my computer time is limited but when I have a few minutes to read blogs I always check yours out. Hope you have a great day. ~Jen

Anonymous said...

I would miss you. I love hearing about your life and your blogging allows me to take part in your struggles. What about a cheaper internet provider like NetZero?

Brenda said...

Rebecca
I am glad you are doing okay. You are welcome for caring. :) Also I must say also that if you were to stop blogging that would be sad. So try to find a way to keep it going okay. Have a blessed night and keep that precious little one safe and sound by resting when you need to!
Blessings
Brenda

Rebecca said...

Wow! Thanks you guys. It makes me feel good to know that I would be missed-and that you check my blogs!

Even if we got rid of the internet, I am sure I would post weekly. A weekly trip to the library would just become a new routine. That wouldn't be so bad, since it is only a block away from the house. It would be good for Corynn too.

I will check out NetZero. The biggest disappointment for me is that I really wanted to get a website up and running so I could take custom orders on my painting and crafts-and hopefully, make a profitable business out of it. That would certainly be impossible if we lost internet.

I will admit, though, that I find it HARD that the internet is the absolute ONLY luxury we have and we are now thinking of giving IT up too. We don't have cable TV-or ANY TV for that matter, we don't have personal cell-phones, we don't have any of those video game things, we only have one car...why do we have to give up the ONE 'extra'? But-good may come from it too. I am leaving it up to Matt to decide. Whatever he decides, we will do-and do happily. We'll see....

Full of Grace said...

Rebecca, when you don't feel like doing your blog at the library, you can always come over to my house and work on it even though my computer isn't really reliable

Abigail said...

Rebecca,

Glad to hear all is well apart from the inevitable tightening of winter buckles. God will provide, as He always does, and as you already know. In the meantime, bundle up! I just got the scarves and mittens out of storage because little, red-nosed Millie has been asking for extra warmth, and it's only October. Yikes! :)

I hope you keep the Internet. It's nice that ours is included in the school bill (tho', of course, we're paying for that bill with a loan). The funny thing is that we never use the school's internet service because we live so close to our next-door neighbor, and his wireless connection spills into our living room! Ah, the virtues of cramped living... :)

Oh, one last thing... Usually, in order to build your own website from scratch, you need a place to host the site-- your own "space" in Internet land. You can buy this "space," of course, but that requires....money. I recommend checking out free hosting sites like Flickr or PictureTrail to begin. That way, you can still have a place to showcase arts and craft items for sale without having to pay any money. Here's an example of a FlickR site (which you've seen before), and here's an example of a PictureTrails site.

They have their own unique features, but both would work for beginning business. They're easy to set up, too, somewhat comparable to setting up a blog. If these would work for now, you could even print out business cards with the web site address printed on them for people to check out your offerings.

That's all. If you already knew about these sites and decided against them, please accept my apologies for word waste!

Abigail said...

Oops. HERE'S the Flickr site example. (And to think such an inept computer flop is offering website advice. Sheesh!)