What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Thursday, April 01, 2010

A Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwww Carrrrrr


I won on a gameshow.

Ok. Maybe I didn't win on a gameshow. Maybe I don't even WATCH gameshows. But I *FEEL* like I won on a gameshow.

Why?

Because we are now the owners of a not-new, slightly worn 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan.

And ok. It's the same one Matt picked up on the way to the hospital to discharge myself and wee Bunkin on her birth day; the one we bought the day before so we would have enough space to bring the girl home (over a year ago).

I paid our last payment on the car today using ALL of our federal tax return (and would have used most of our STATE tax return had that money actually been RETURNED to us. Don't get me started!) (PS. I did do our own taxes this year, and per several of YOUR suggestions, went with Turbo Tax. SO glad we did! It was easy. It was cheap. and I wasn't too dumb to figure them out!)

When I created this years' budget and financial goals, I anticipated paying off the car in July. That was our goal.

That means we are ahead of our goal by four months!

Last on the agenda is a tiny little hiccup of a medical bill that will be paid off by mid-April. After that, it is all about the house and savings.

We had hoped to put a hefty downpayment on a house but for a long time I felt too discouraged to even dream. People don't PUT big downpayments on houses when they buy anymore.

NOW I am wondering if paying for a house fully in cash wouldn't be attainable with some real determination and dedication....

7 comments:

Tracy said...

Congratulations! That's a HUGE accomplishment, and I'm proud of you!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Lookie at what you can do! We hope to knock down our land debt this year, too. I hope we can. You inspire me to try. :) Way to go!

Bonnie said...

WOO-HOO!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go! That is such a great accomplishment, and a great example to set for your children. I bet it drives nicer now. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca,
Well done!

We own our own home, with a lot of perseverance and buying and selling seven homes, but it is possible. Just buy the worst house in the best street, do all the work yourself and reap the rewards. :)

Blessings,
Jillian ♥

Unknown said...

CONGRATS! What a great feeling! :)

Leah said...

How wonderfully exciting!!! I'm so happy for you! We know how it feels to pay of our debts, too. It's so freeing! And now we're also in a position to start saving! I can't wait to hear the wonderful news that you've saved enough money for a (down payment on a) house! :)

Oh, by the way, the people hosting my blog are going to be closing down their hosting site so I have a new blog address. I'll be writing a quick post about where I'll be posting now. ;)