What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

On Plants


It's springtime, and very nearly GARDEN time. This fact, paired with my recent goal to include more variety into our schooldays, resulted in this experiment completed nearly four weeks past.

"What would the effect be on white carnations, if they "drank" up colored water?!"


It reiterated color concepts as we mixed food coloring into various colors.
It confirmed the purpose of stems as "pipelines" for nutrients. (They DID change color)
It got us out from behind books and into the "lab room", aka kitchen.


It was the impetus behind child-made hypotheses like "If we split the stem in two, will one flower suck up two different colors?" (It did.) or "If we create purple using red and blue, will the petals show the separated colors or just purple? (Just purple).


It added vibrancy to the window, especially around 5:00pm.


It required me to buy fresh flowers at the store. My arm is still sore from all the twisting.

Lots more plant resources to come...

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

I was just thinking about doing this, but bemoaning that we will have to wait for the Queen Annes Lace to bloom. (and B. pulled out the *most* beautiful clump last year :0( He still believes they are weeds. )
I thought of celery, though that seems like wasting food, but white carnations never crossed my mind! I will have to watch for them now. (Hmm, I wonder if white roses would work...)


Responded back at my blog.

Unknown said...

Such a cool idea! :)

Nanci said...

You NEVER cease to AMAZE me. You even make pics of science experiments look beautiful!!!

Wendy said...

Ive always loved that particular experiment. I know what you mean about the kids wanting to read~ Isaac is a lot like that. He is willing to spend his OWN money at Barnes and Noble...I love that place! Have a good rest of the week! I would have you over, but I am in the middle of painting...ripping wallpaper...figuring out what is wrong with the shower pipes...and well everything is in disarray...at least the weather is totally FAB.