What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, April 16, 2012

(Not our) Granary


The warm winds are whipping around Hopestead and my days are following suit. Now that the weather is warming, I am finding every excuse to get outside. And with the new season begins a new set of responsibilities and a new level of busy-ness.

One BIG responsibility: washing and packing up the winter duds and unpacking the summer ones. This chore, alone, has gotten more complicated with our move since-instead of just heading up to the attic, as I did before, it goes something like this:

Cross the yard and the road-go up in the Granary-bring down a bin. Cross the road and the yard and then go upstairs in the house. Do a switch. Haul a bin downstairs, out of the house, across the yard, across the road and up the Granary.

Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

(You attic and basement storers have it SO good.)


These summerish winds blow in some other responsibilities too~ like clothesline hanging, garden planning and preparations, and sweeping up dirt brought in by bare toes 100 times day. Exercising so I can actually swim in public this summer. Needless to say, I have been pretty busy lately.

A good busy.

One of these days I will blog about a Panda who turned six and his requested cow cake. (Surprised? Didn't think so.)

One of these days I will blog about my really great, really unique clothesline Matt built. (I thought it was going to turn out AWFUL. Instead it turned out AMAZING. Gotta love it when that happens...)

Or I could blog about the newly plowed garden plot over in the side yard. (Our biggest yet!)

Or I could talk about the little thoughts flurrying about my mind at any given moment.

But all these are going to have to wait because...

I haven't finished showing you Easter pictures yet! For Easter, we went to see my brother Jonathan and his new apartment which is really only an apartment in the fact that every month he turns over a rent check.

No. The word 'apartment' doesn't really suit the place at all.


It is actually an old, fully restored and now utterly amazing, granary which is attached to a fully restored and breathtaking, old barn surrounded by beautiful walking paths, a lovely pond, tons of perennials and an amazing firepit and conversations spot.

Yes, if OUR granary were this granary, I would beg to switch clothes over every season. And maybe, I would not even need the house at all.

Just sayin'.

I took lots of pictures because I just loved the place. It is quaint and eclectic and has so many features that just scream 'ME'. Like the light branch over the table my brother made. And the birds everywhere. And the colors in the living area are the colors in my school room! The mirrors everywhere. And...most of all, the BATHROOM. I feel completely and utterly in love with the bathroom (which I sadly, didn't capture well at all.)

Take a looksie.


The claw foot tub, the pedestal sink and the levitating mirror are all out in the open of the room. And surrounded with cattails and birdcages no less. Claw foot tubs? Suspended mirrors? Pedestal sink surrounded by vintage birdcages? I die.

(The toilet and shower are private. No worries.)






(Those are totally the colors I am going for in my school room! Which is still, sadly, in a state of Gram-decorating. One of these days...)





Pretty amazing, right?

I already have plans to convert OUR Granary into a place like this. Expect a blog post about it in approximately....oh....2045.

;-)

6 comments:

Bonnie said...

Figured you've been busy, our weather has taken a turn for the cold. Blah.

Um, I think your brother might live in the COOLEST place I have ever seen. Ever.

You're making me feel lazy.

The kids need me to sharpen colored pencils now. 'Bye.

Tracy said...

WOW! I could totally live there!

Unknown said...

Whoa. You've been busy.

Wow. Your brother's place is very cool!

A Happy Wife said...

Rebecca,

The pics of your brother's place remind me of "The Enchanted Barn" by Grace Livingston Hill. Have you read that one? If not, you MUST! I just loaned my copy to a lovely young lady in my writing class. I'm afraid it may ruin her for ever living in a "proper" home, though!

I love the bookcases in the loft, too. I could easily live there! Thanks for the peek.

Looking forward to seeing all your projects unfold this year...

God Bless,
Kris Zerby

Mar said...

That is awesome! I could totally live there once I retire and move out to the country. Even my 16 year old was impressed - and willing to admit it!

Can't wait to see your clothesline set up. I specifically looked for a home without an HOA or other restrictive covenants when I moved so I could have clotheslines and found one that actually had the lines up already! NOTHING smells as good as freshly laundered and dried in the sun bed linens.

Mrs. Rebekah S. said...

What an amazing place! Unique and memorable in every way. :) Glad you shared--inspiration for some. day. :)