What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, April 03, 2012

March in Review


It's that time again to revisit my goals for the year and review how I did during the month. Actually it is three days PAST time but I have been entertaining quite a bit for the last few days...so, you understand. Goals I didn't meet are in RED.

House Project of the Month: The goal is one but again this month, we accomplished more than one! yay!

  • Matt built bookcases in our stairway. We both had a poly-staining party and I *FINALLY* unpacked our boxes of books, sorted them by genre/author and put them in.
  • Matt hung the two antique mirrors where I wanted them and hung one of my stained glass light fixtures in the dining room.
  • I finished the hankie shower curtain and hung it! Here is a sneak peek:

Family Read Aloud:
  • Beowulf (the older two enjoyed this immensely and I enjoyed reading it. It is the kind of book you can really get dramatic with. It is pretty violent and a bit scary, so the olders and I read it after I read the littles some 'littles' books and put them to bed.)
  • Understood Betsy (audio) (What a GREAT book! Many times as an adult, I was struck by the truths that came from this childrens' book. LOVED it.)

Letterwriting: 6

Letters to Opa/ Widows: 3

Scripture Memorization: Psalm 3

Savings Account: none*
Car Fund: none*
Principle on House: none*

* Closing costs on the house used up all our excess cash flow this month. Disappointing, but....worth it. ;-)

Christmas gift made: I worked on the other crocheted edge pillowcase. Now it is a pair and that gift is DONE. I realize I should have finished both in ONE month and had a different present done altogether by now. But. There it is.


Exercise (the goal was 3x a week): 16 days
Drank 60 ounces of water a day: Pretty sure I did this daily but I didn't mark it on my list so I don't have the exact days. Not a drop of soda in March either!
Read Bible (by myself): 12 times. Not quite a daily habit yet, is it? Thankfully, reading the Word is a daily habit in the form of family worship in the evenings and/or daily Bible study during the day with the children.

Other Goals from the yearly list:

~Began Catechism questions with the children (the book was finally unpacked!)

9 comments:

Regina said...

Awesome Rebecca! You're doing great!

ulli said...

I love the book shelves in the staircase. What a great way to use the space!
The hankie shower curtain, from what you showed us, is beautiful! Another great idea.
The pillowcases are so cheerful--what a great gift they will make. I'm also making pillowcases to put away as gifts, but I have a wide cuff on mine with machine embroidery on the cuff. You've inspired me to do some with edging.
You're doing great!!

Unknown said...

Lovely!!! I picked up a couple of pillowcases today for embroidery - a Christmas project! The book cases are wonderful. Great job!!!

Davene Grace said...

I second your thoughts about Understood Betsy. I loved it as a child, love it even more as an adult, and love the fact that my oldest child loves it, too! (And I'm sure the others will also love it when they get to read it.) That's a lot of love! :)

Victorianlady8 said...

Understood Betsey....one of my most Favorite Books :) Aw...Uncle Henry doing math figures while poor Misunderstood Betsey....struggling along and then a THOUGHT came to her...her FIRST thought all of her own! Too wonderful!

Bonnie said...

I was just thinking about Understood Betsy the other day. I know I read it as a child, but can't for the life of me remember what it was about! Guess I'll have to read it again.
The pillowcases are beautiful, and I'm having serious bookcase envy. We are going to need another one soon, just not sure where to put it. Probably upstairs.

Good job on the rest of your goals M'Dear!

Rebecca said...

Embroidered pillowcases are also on my list of homemade gifts! Most especially, I think~ this kind:

http://rosylittlethings.com/QueenAnnesLacePillowcasepattern.pdf

But then again~ I really might just keep those for myself. ;-)

Amanda said...

love that pillow case and the shower curtain!
what cool ideas.
I want more photos of that shower curtain so I can do the same!!!
teach me more!!!

Rebecca said...

Sandy~ my email says you commented but for some reason it is not showing up here. Just in case you do check back for the answer to your question:

We use the Westminster Shorter Catechism-which is shortened from the lengthy Westminster Catechism especially for memorization. It is just a little orange pamphlet-size book. At Veritas I DO believe there are music cds that have put the catechism to music. We have them and they really help!!