It all began with a package in the mail from a blogging buddy with a note that said "Thought you might be able to use these for something..."
Sure, I had accumulated pretty hankies before that....but with that little note, my bit of happenstance became an all-out hankie hunt. It was quite the little stack of lovely. And that is when the hankie bug bit me. And I have been on the hunt for pretty hankies ever since.
I have used them to make bonnets.
I have used them to make Springy Easter buntings.
And now, I have sadly used them UP to make a hanky shower curtain.
(Someday when the thought of wallpapering doesn't make me sweat and hide in the corner, I will wallpaper this bathroom. Maybe.)
I thought originally of doing it quilt-like (stitching them all together in a sort of patchwork) but decided against it because, it turns out, hankies are very irregular little things and I didn't want to cockeye (or worse, lose!) the design. Plus, many of the edges would have been sad to cut off as lovely as they were.
Instead, I sewed them onto a sheet in a grid-like pattern. I used an old flat sheet cut down the middle and stitched to size which saved me hemming all the sides! I used the buttonhole attachment to whip out 12 buttonholes for the show curtain rings and found out how fun it is just to zoom through a bunch of buttonholes without worrying about sewing on buttons later!
Well, now I have not a hankie left and that makes me more than a wee bit sad. But it is awful nice to see them every time I step into the bathroom. It makes me happy. (I try to concentrate on the shower curtain and NOT the wallpaper!)
And besides, an empty handkerchief stash can only mean one thing: it is time to go hankie hunting!
It looks like this bug can't be squished.