What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pretty.Happy.Birthday

I woke up yesterday another year older.   And though the day didn't go *quite* as planned, I have to say, it was a pretty swell birthday.

{pretty}

 Birthday scones on the special birthday plate.  With kiwi and fresh pineapple because I love them.  And bacon, for the same.

{happy}

 Corynn stitched me up a leaflet of poems about Mothers.  Dripping with sap- just the way I like it.  The girl knows me.

 I got FOUR envelopes in the mail.  FOR ME.  And not a bill among them.  I love, love, love receiving mail so I totally count this as a (four) present(s).


{funny}


 My eyes are incredibly alien-like which can, admittedly, make for a funny picture.  Not so funny in real life though.  (Ps.  Those earrings I am wearing was the first Christmas gift I ever received from Matt...back when he bought me jewelry!  They came in an inscribed heart jewelry box  which I was CERTAIN held an engagement ring.  But alas.  I had to wait almost a whole year before that!) 


I didn't know until about 1:00 in the afternoon whether we would be able to go out to dinner or not.  When I found out, I emptied the refridge of all its' leftovers and made a first rate, pathetic looking meal for the children to eat with the babysitter.  I felt kinda bad.

And then I ate this... and I felt bad again.



But when I got home, they all RAVED over supper.  It was SOOOOOO good, said they, and I once again thanked God for giving me such easy-to-please, happy-go-lucky children. 


{real}


I made my own cheesecake because Matt had work he had to do the night before.  My birthdays' eve was a bad night in general and I was in a melancholy mood and not feeling at all like making my own cake- so I threw it all together and only after it was too late did I remember that cheesecake really can't be THROWN together.  Hence a cheesecake with white cream cheese flecks in it, most noticeable in the chocolate layer.  It didn't look professional but it still tastes pretty good.  (Can cheesecake taste bad?)


We went to Texas Roadhouse for dinner which is, as it turns out, a Texas-sized RIP OFF...(but nothing beats their rolls and honey butter!) and outside the restaurant was a beautiful flowering tree.  I don't really like this picture all that much for a number of reasons, but I post it here anyway because it takes an awful lot for Matt to stand by a tree IN FRONT OF PEOPLE and have his picture taken and I'd hate for him to have done it for nothing.  So, for the moment, I will disregard the fact that my head is bigger than my body and three times as big as Matt, the fact that my hair is (as usual) wonky and that Matt looks like he hates his life and instead I will focus on the fact that:  We got a picture together!  In a public place!  With PEOPLE around us!!

round button chicken

13 comments:

Bonnie said...

Happiest Day after your birthday my very dear friend! I was hoping to send a card but instead baby got sick and I've spent the last 6 nights semi-sleeping on the couch. (sleep is kind of a generous way of putting it)
But you were thought of oh yes indeedy : )

Look at thin you!

Miranda Hupp said...

Happy Birthday to you! I think (in a totally non creepy kind of way) that you should give me your address so I can send you a birthday card!

The cake looks delish and I wish my kids were that easy to please! They are not really picky eaters but they are not really into trying new things. Go figure.

Did you see my post from a few days ago? I tried to get some pictures of Brian and although I got him to laugh, I never did get a "great" one.

I think you look beautiful, by the way. :)

Abigail said...

Many happy returns! I was going to email you (lame) last night but then forgot because I'm (lame). I have a gift for you in my head, too, but it's yet to come out my fingers, so don't hold your breath.

Also, we just ate at Texas Roadhouse on Monday for Smother's Day! Mom O. gave us a gift card, and I ate enough rolls for 12 trolls. (Why do you think they're called 'trolls?')

Many years ago, you told me that we had similar eyes, referencing a statement someone, probably Matt, had made about it. SO, if you have alien eyes, I have alien eyes. Let's conquer these pitiful Earthlings!

Lastly, the answer is no. Bad cheesecakes do not exist; even the phrase "bad cheesecake" is a paradox.

9peasMom said...

Sounds like a great birthday - I love the look of those birthday scones! I had a similar 'dinner' situation happen a few weeks ago, I felt terrible for the concoction I came up with and dubbed dinner and was so surprised by how much the kids loved it and asked for more etc..etc.. Problem is, I knew it was a dud when I mixed it all up and didn't pay attention so that I could make it again - they keep asking for it too!

Leah said...

Happy birthday dear. (((hugs)))

(p.s. We all know how awesome Matt thinks his wife is. I mean his LIFE IS! (whoops! ;)

ulli said...

Happy (day after) Birthday, Rebecca!! Glad you had a good day. Dinner out is always good no matter where. I think your picture is great--you both look good. Hope you're feeling better.

Mary said...

Okay... so I have to ask: what camera do you shoot with? Absolutely beautiful photos... though I know it's the eye behind the lens that gets the credit. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday :)

mapleleafmom said...

Bonne Fête Rebecca, et bonne santé.

Happy birthday and good health.

Rebecca said...

Bonnie- poor Bonnie! Couch sleeping is NO FUN. Hope you get lots of rest this weekend! (And thanks for your last tidbit. I appreciated it. Though you did only see my gi-normous head, I will choose to believe you anyway. hehehe

Miranda- I went over and checked thanks to your comment. You guys are too cute.

Abigail- just one more check in the "so similar it is getting freaky" box. Texas Roadhouse, I mean, not the alien eyes. I don't recall any comments about similar eyes betwixt you and I but if it should be true, I sure wouldn't mind because while you would have to endure alien eyes, I could enjoy the most beautiful robin's egg, upstairs chandalier-matching turquoise blue eyes ever.

Ulli- MUCH better thank you!

Mary- I laughed when I read your comment because all of these pictures are plain.jane and not at all extraordinary. But you asked so I will tell you- I have a digital Canon Rebel T3i.

Thank you everyone, for your well wishes. You know how to make a girl smile!

Tracy said...

Happy belated Birthday, dear Rebecca!

Unknown said...

I SWEAR I posted on here...oh well. :) Lovely snatches of your birthday, Rebecca...I think you look SO pretty in that last photo. :)

Blessings.

Wendy said...

Happy Birthday Rebecca! I like the picture of you and Matt :) Looks like your evening was grand!