What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, June 03, 2013

Stuff and Nonsense

On Saturday, before my big post-gardening-week/pre-company massive house-cleaning binge, my sister and I met up at a local greenhouse/farm for a bit of 'play'. "All work and no play makes Rebecca a dull girl" and all that.








I came home and my allergies kicked in to full gear.  I spent the rest of the day cleaning with tissues shoved up my nose.  (The kids think my allergy days are hilarious, btw) I also got a STY on my eye.    Not only was I dripping profusely from the nose and sneezing continuously, but I looked very much like a spousal abuse victim.  It was really GREAT looking so good when Matt's boss came to dinner.  Not.  (By then I didn't have a tissue hanging out of my nose, thank goodness.)



I post this picture here as proof that my life is not always (hardly ever) idyllic, in case you needed any.  Never say I am not real with you on this blog!

Sunday our company came despite the weatherman calling for severe storms, hail and intense winds.  I was nervous about the weather the whole time but turns out- we were able to eat (and visit) outside with only one  five minute downpour and beautiful double rainbow to make up for it.









Andrew found a baby creature deep in the woods (I am thinking a baby pheasant or quail?) so the children were pretty occupied with that.



 One of the things I offered for food when company came was a baked potato bar.  It was SO GREAT.  I can't decide if it was because they tasted so good or because it was such a fuss-free food to serve to company that I liked it so much. (Why have I never thought of this until now?)  Wash, prick, salt and pepper and wrap potatoes in aluminum foil and put on low for 8 hours (four hours on high) in crockpot and TA-DA, baked potatoes ready for slathering with good stuff.



10 comments:

Terri said...

That definitely looks like it could be a pheasant. So cute! Too bad they grow up to be squawky and not so pretty. :-)

I hope you feel better soon. All three of my children suffer with allergies and this time of the year is horrible for them.

Love the pictures, as usual!

Julian said...

If its not one thing, its another. Lol isn't that just life;). So glad you got some fun time and I'm sure your guests enjoyed themselves! What a great idea for easy, no fuss entertainment.
Christina

Marlene Bibby said...

Glad you enjoyed your company. Sometimes when I am getting ready for them, I wonder why I did it. But then it is always worth it.

And I am going to remember the baked potatoes in the crock pot. That is a great way to keep the house cooler. Not that I need help with that today. The heat is back on!!

And I love the nose. Can't not mention that. So adorable!!

Catie said...

Love the pics of the kids with the baby ducks! Adorable! (they are ducks, right?)

We did a baked potato bar for dinner a few weeks back and I said the same thing! "Why don't we do this every week?" You think we've done it since? ;)

Abigail said...

I love the close-up of the duck in Cassandra's hands. Perfect!

The same goes for the baby pheasant AND the rainbow AND all the rest, to boot.

Considering I have firsthand evidence that you looked like a tanned supermodel on Sunday, this...
It was really GREAT looking so good when Matt's boss came to dinner. Not.
made me snort. Yes, snort.
Glad to hear the visit went well!

Miranda Hupp said...

Oh you poor thing! Allergies are the worst. Brian gets them really bad too. He has to wear a full helmet at work (foundry..which is why he looks dirty in a lot of my pictures because he is covered in blackness and I snap them before a much needed shower!!) and he has to put toilet paper up his nose or well.....I'm sure you get the idea.

Your pictures are lovely but I wouldn't expect any different. :)

I sent you an email last week. Did you get it? My email is being wonky and I've been told my emails are never arriving.

Mary P said...

I love the "no fuss" baked potato bar! What a great idea. I'm always looking for meals that can be prepared ahead of time so when my husband get home from work (and I'm never sure of the time until he pops in the door) I don't have to spend 1/2 hr in the kitchen doing my "final prep" :-) Please, please, please, keep posting your dinners! They always look incredible. oh, and please keep posting your photos. oh, and your real life stories.

Bless You - Mary

Unknown said...

HAHA! You are cute EVEN with kleenex stuffed in your nose! :)

Love all the baby birdies of various sorts and BAKED POTATO BAR for GUESTS...what a FABULOUS IDEA! :D

Rebecca said...

Mrs. Bibby- I always joke to Matt that a huge perk to hospitality is FORCING me to get the house top-notch and maybe one of the reasons why God wants us to be hospitable OFTEN. hehehe

Catie- yup- they are ducks. And I WANT one! :-)

Abby- seeings how I was a blubbering basketcase with a sty eye, I think you are being very delusional--errrr---GENEROUS with that statement! (But I appreciate it anyway.)

Miranda- yes, I checked and I did get it! I'll write you back soon!

Mary- well.....since you ASKED. :-)



Wendy said...

You are too funny! Gotta love a stuffed nose picture! Hehe.